9 yr old shaving?

I saw a razor in my 9 year olds shower. I asked and she said she's been shaving for a few months. I had no idea! Would you let her continue?

bjane01

Asked by bjane01 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah. I was shaving at that age. I was like a sasquatch in the leg area!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I started shaving at 9, mainly because I saw my older sister doing it and I wanted to do it myself, well just my legs at that time, chances are if you tell her to stop the hair will come back thicker and longer and she'll find a way to do it anyways, I would just talk to her and ask her to communicate about these things with you. especially if its something you can help her in so she wont cut herself and stuff.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 9:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• yes, i dont see a problem with it. some girls get made fun of for not shaving around that age...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Does she need to? Well probably now, I would probably let her continue, all girls develop at a different age, she may now have her hair starting to grow in on her legs and underarms and is uncomfortable with that. If she hasn't gotten her monthly friend as of yet, "normally, but not always, you can expect that to start about a year after the pubic hair starts to appear.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• YES! I needed to shave when I was that old, but my mom wouldn't let me so I had to wear pants all year because I was so humiliated. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, so long as it seemed like she had a reason to shave. Now if she was one of the luckier girls who still had hair like a baby on her legs, I'd be worried, but if she actually had leg hair that was visible and bothering her, I would let her continue.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes, I would let her continue, but I would also sit down and talk with her about coming to you to talk before she makes any other decisions. It's shaving now, but what about all of thr other physical changes that are on the way? Right now is the time to set the tone for the many other discussions to come.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:52 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You need to start paying better attention. My daughter is ten and i told her to start shaving, she was very hairy. You sure as heck shouldn't stop her.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My daughter started shaving at the age of 11 and didnt find out until she was wearing shorts one day and i happened to look at her legs and i was like Veronica did you shave your legs and she said yea have been for a while now
    little911

Answer by little911 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my daughter is also 9 and I won't let her shave. She wants to shave her legs. I think she's to young.
    mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i'm starting to teach my 8 year old! her legs are so hairy i can't believe it!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2010