grants

Is their a grant I could apply for that can help me pay off some bills? I have a orthodontist that needs money and $15k in debts, I would love any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Are you a student? My husband is going to take out a student loan.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 9:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• no on the student part
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 9:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Become a student.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you want to get out of debt, the first step is to stop accumulating debt. I know that's hard to do- especially if you are struggling to make ends meet.

Start with a written budget where you and your SO decide on paper how you're going to spend your income before you get it. Prioritize the budget so that things like Rent/Mortgage, utilities, insurance, fuel, and food get paid first and things like cable, entertainment, eating out, and unsecured debts like credit card bills get paid last.

Then when you or your spouse gets paid work your way down that list and get as far as you can. If you can't pay all your bills don't worry about it. You have to feed your family first. Credit card companies will call and harass you. That's fine. They have to take you to court before they can garnish your wages or put liens on anything.

Be sure to look up your state laws to see what collectors can and can't legally do.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• In the meantime you and your husband can have a garage sale, cut expenses, and start looking for a 2nd part time job. maybe mowing lawns, delivering pizzas, selling plasma, getting rid of a car (and the payments), or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if having a written budget that you stick to, and finding some extra income puts you and your family back on track.

I would also check out the book Total Money Makeover, by Dave Ramsey form your local library. It will give you some awesome tips.

As far as grants go- unless your a student and go into an undeserved area, I'm not sure if there are any grants that will help you pay off debt.

If you already have student loans maybe you could apply for hardship deferral though.

GOOD LUCK! I hope things turn around for you guys soon.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010