My 4 year doesnt want to go to preschool!!!!

I took her on her first day of school..Wednesday and she cried! She was excited to go back that afternoon but started getting sad at night...She got really sick (vomiting headaches and stomachaches) thursday took her to da doc and he said she was stressed out! She keeps telling me she doesnt want to go to school at times but at other times she talks about going and what shes wearing and stuff...y6778 Should i try taking her once more or should i just quit???

PrettyMommy235

Asked by PrettyMommy235 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't back out now.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I'm so scared for her to get depression or something! She looks a lot better now but i'm so scared!
    PrettyMommy235

Comment by PrettyMommy235 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Have you talked to the teacher? Find out how she's doing when you aren't there. Is she participating in the activities? Are their parts of the day that she enjoys? What things does she not enjoy?

My DD turned 4 just 4 days before the cut off for this school year, so I put her in 1/2 preK. I'm afraid if she doesn't have this year to get used to school that she will (since she's an August baby) be a super young 5 year old for Kindergarten and struggle. She was confused her first week...enjoyed the kids, loved PE, wanted to go back, but also cried and protested about going back. I found out that the teacher scared her during potty time. My DD has only been at home with me and used to doing the potty by herself when she needs to go. This teacher forced her to go potty during potty time whether she needed to or not and with the other girls. It freaked my DD out and she was scared to go back. I talked with the teacher.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Don't send her.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• no this is okay and really normal for some kids, excited to go and then crying at crunchtime. My nephew did vomitting and headaches every monday morn before pre-school, the anticipation over the week just built up for him.
    She needs to go through this at some stage so you might as well pull on your brave pants and go with it. Some ideas, tell her you will stay with her till she feels okay ( and if teacher protests just stare her down and refuse to leave), does she have a friend she knows there? It can help to arrange to collect that child on your way and they go in together -this puts the focus on the friend coming in the car rather than the school day, she really just needs some positive experiences going in, taking a favourite toy for show and tell (and cuddles), making a special card to give the teacher, or collecting flowers for them, puts focus on that small event not on the whole big picture- good luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• have you asked her why she doesn't want to go back? i used to come and pick the girls up about 45 to an hour early just to get the feel of the atmosphere of the place. maybe she's having trouble with some of the kids or possable the teacher.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The teacher was unable to change her routine and way of doing things. So, I put her in the other teachers class and now she's thriving, having a blast and sad that she can't go to school on the weekends.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Thanx so much for ur comments....

The thing is she only went one day! She started wednesday the 25th she missed thursday and friday bcus she was sick!
    She doesnt know anyone and the teacher wouldnt even let me talk to her! The doctor said to give her till tuesday but i dont want to bcus i dont want her to think she can just miss whenever she wants! I asked her why she didnt want to go and she says she doesnt want to be there alone!

Should i stay there for a while? Will that help??? The teacher says it will make things worst but i think it will help her!
    PrettyMommy235

Comment by PrettyMommy235 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• You can definitely stay til she is happy in an activity - teacher doesn't know your child at all so she doesn't know it will make it worse . You have to remember you aren't there to please the teacher, you are there to help your daughter & be her advocate so don't be bullied into leaving if you aren't comfortable. Many pre-schools have daily parent helpers, over the course of the day you move to helping other children & leaving your child to play in her own way. She is only 4, she's a baby so of course she wants you to stay.
    Other ideas are - help her find a little friend to play with & use the other childs name alot. If the whole day is too much right off, then take her in & let her settle, then tell her you will be back after morning tea, then tomorrow you say I will come just before lunch, then just after lunch..... Also remember that school isn't compulsory yet so she has plenty of time to settle into it
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The teacher will not talk to you or did I misread that?

I'm a certified teacher. You should always, always be able to speak with your child's teacher. I would not be sending my child back to a school where the teacher would not talk to me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010