Do you spank your kids?

I was out with my friend and her 2 year old and her child was throwing massive fits to where she destroyed a store. my friend smacks her child and calls her names and yells at her loudly in public. I dont believe in spanking or hitting my child so i just kind of looked everyone was looking at us everywhere we went. I just couldnt believe it. She also cusses and her child repeats what she says and she laughs. I dont know if i want my child to be around that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• i do spank my child. but i don't cuss at him or anything....
    Anonymous

• Your question and the story you gave are two totally different things.....

YES I spank....but I do not curse ever....(my 5 year old thinks crap is a bad word) and I do it respectfully and thoughtfully I do not do it in public and I do not do it in anger......

I think and find the appropriate response and do it in private.....I wouldnt want my child around your friend either!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yea, that doesn't seem like a very healthy thing to do to your child, at any age. We do use spanking as a last resort with our children, and only for severe issues. However, we never curse them or degrade them in any fashion. I don't think that spanking, when done correctly, is a bad form of discipline...but it seems that your friend has issuses and I wouldn't want my children around that either.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 8:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I dont spank my 5 year old. His dad does and I cry everytime. When I was a kid I rarely got spanked I only remember a couple times but not that serious. I do cuss and yell at him but at the same time I explain to him why Im yelling because he doesn't listen. He yells at me too sometimes because he learned it from me. Id rather cuss and yell then hit him. I do love my son with all my heart. I am aware and sometimes I feel bad I do catch myself sometimes so I try to correct it
    Anonymous

• its up to the parent on weather or not to hit there child i dont , but if you dont want your kids around it then dont thats your choice you could try to offer her advice on what to do next time your together and out and her child starts acting like that say something like "your son/daughter seems really upset do you want to go outside and try to give her a chance to calm down? " if that dont work then just tell her how you feel just try not to sound like your telling her you think she is a bad mom cuz that wont get you anywhere
    calize

Answer by calize at 8:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I do spank but not to the point of abuse. Its usually a pat on the butt. Its for some and not for others. I dont feel children get the point until they get spanked, it makes them think about it the next time. As far as the hanging out with them I would stop.
    Anonymous

• We use spanking if it is absolutely needed, yelling and cussing at the child is a huge no no.

That lady needs her mouth slapped and a bar of soap down her throat.

I will be first to admit that I have bad language but I try to watch it around my children, sometimes it does slip up though. My son said damn last night after I had said is. I can't punish him for that, he was just following what mommy said and we as role models need to teach our children better. A ll I could do is tell him that word was a no no and teach him it was bad and that mommy was bad for saying it.
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes, I've spanked, I've done it in public at restaurants, stores, heck I've even done it in church. Is it my first form of discipline? No, at home it's mostly time out and warnings, but to be honest I can't give a time out in the middle of church, or at a restaurant. So they get a firm warning, maybe 2, that their behavior is unacceptable and that if they don't stop it will result in a spanking or a timeout or writing sentences, etc. (things of that nature). If and when I do spank it is 1-3 firm swats on the butt with MY HAND and MY hand only. My kids know exactly what they have done and why they have been disciplined. I NEVER cuss my kids out or call them names!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:07 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm not going to lie...if my daughter was throwing a major fit in the grocery store, she would get a spanking. The other day I was at Wal-Mart, and watched a child throw himself on the floor, rip things off the shelf, hit his mother...the whole time she was mumbling "no, no...come on...stand up"...then she bribed him back into the cart with a bag of chips she opened off the shelf! My 3 year old daughter was with me and she watched that with huge eyes and said "That boy is in big trouble" and I thought "nope, that child is getting rewarded with chips for acting like a monster". The yelling and swearing is nuts and whether you spank or not, there is no need for all that! And laughing when the child swears?! OMG...nothing like encouraging bad behavior!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• We did more when they were younger but not so much now bc they're older @ 10, 9 & soon 2 b 6. And 2 b honest, I've acted that way w/ my children in public & home & it wasn't until I saw another parent do as well as my kids talking back 2 & yelling @ me that I realized how horribly wrong I was treating them. Now 4 our daughters we take things away like their friends & the phone. W/ our son, the electronics works 4 him.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2008