How important is tradition and culture to you and your family?

I just returned from a trip to Texas to visit my family. The most wonderful & hardest part of my visit was saying goodbye to my 91 year old Mamo. Her health is failing and I know I will not see her again. We had a wonderful time "remembering."

This got me thinking about tradition and culture and how much it means to me. It isn't something you can just set aside is it?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I always believe that family and family tradition is the most important thing we have. It solidifies who we are.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Unfortunately I have very little. (let the jokes fly, people!) our family has been broken since before I was born, and the only tradition I really remember was everyone getting drunk and fighting on holidays.

I'm so glad you had a good trip!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Tradition is becoming more important to me and specifically passing it to my children.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• im italian so its very important.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Huge. Traditions are memories too. Our Christmas tradition is to bake and decorate cut out cookies. My parents did with my brother and I when we were kids and I've continued it with my girls.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It has always been important in my family,my relatives on both my side and the in-laws and now with my kids and their spouses and the grandkids. My aunt , on my Mom's side traced our family tree way back to when they came to America on one of the ships with the Mayflower and my cousin on my Dad's side traced our family back to sweden and Norway about 400 years in the past. We all love to reminisce and remember and tell old stories. There is nothing better.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Tradition is very important in our family. We want our boys to know where they come from and be proud of thear ancestry. By the way we're Irish and Cajun French.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 10:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's very important because it's memories of good times.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• It's not. And it's very sad. On our side we lost a traditional Sicilian influence and an Austrian Influence. On hubby's side we lost a Cherokee heritage, all because in the 40's 50's people were so encouraged or forced to become Americanized.
    All we can do now really is start new ones with our kids, but it is so generic, I really wish we could have had something to pass down the line that was true to our heritage from years ago.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Tradition is important, it gives kids a good sense of history and helps them feel connected to a larger group of people who have survived hard times and still flourished. I think that these are important lessons to share with our kids. Plus having a grandma who always makes sure there is a big pot of pasta and meatballs waiting for them when they come over isn't bad either.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010