How many different religions/belief systems are you exposing your children to?

And how old are they?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• None right now but they are only 1 and 3 I'm sure as they get older my husband will teach them. He doesnt have a set religion but he believe in a god.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• We are Christian, Protestant, Souther Baptist to be specific and that's how we're raising our children, but they are aware there are other religions and when the subject comes up we talk about their beliefs and how they differ from ours. (I took a couple of religion classes in college, enough to know the "basics" of the major world religions)

Answer by missanc at 10:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• None yet because she's only (almost) 2, but I intend to expose her to every religion I come across and make sure she at least grows up with a basic understanding of those beliefs. Basically, when she's old enough to understand some of it, what I learn I will teach her.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My son is 18.. He grew up in and was exposed to many religions growing up.
    His father and his family are Sikhs (my son has chosen the Sikh Path)
    My family is Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist
    He has attended/Been to services at: Mosque, Gurdwaras, Temples, Churches (Baptist, Methodist, & Catholic), and a Synagogue or two.

My belief is this. It is not my place to " instill" beliefs or religion into my child. He is his own person, and just l ike everyone else. He will develop his own beliefs based on his own feelings, his own experiences in life, and his on personal relationship with God if he chooses to have one. My job is to expose him to and allow/make the opportunity, for him to learn as much and experience as much as he can in regards to various beliefs so that he can develop his beliefs.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Forgot to add: And I will encourage her to research and learn about as many as she wants, also. I will teach her what I learn about, but I also would like her to learn about them on her own.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• None yet, at ages 1 and 3. As they get older, I'll answer whatever questions they have about any religion to the best of my ability, including research if I don't know. And I'll probably take them to the UU church at least semi-regularly, where they teach the basics of most major world religions in their children's religious education program.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:05 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Our girls are 11 and 15 and we are studying world religions right now. I want them to be respectful of all religions and choose their beliefs for themselves.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• As many as possible. I think it's so important, my son is almost an adult & he has respect for all beliefs & for all religions. .
    In today's world it's really important to understand others & to embrace diversity. Recently he has been studying Buddhism.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• As of right now they have only been exposed to mine and Dh's believes (which differ slightly) because they are only 5 and 3 years old. They have gone to 2 funerals and a baptism though too and I explained what was happening so I guess a little exposure to Christianity. As they get older though they will be exposed to as many as I possibly can. I took every religious studies course in college I could without actually majoring in it and that is how I came to the beliefs I have now and feel my children should make their own decisions too. I attend our local Unitarian Universalist church for both christian events and pagan events that they have there occasionally and plan to start taking the children soon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:15 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I forgot to add Wiccans and Pagans.. LOL

My son's Godparents are Pagans.
    And the neighbors who have been involved in his life since he was 2 are Wiccans.

Sorry I forgot to add those in my previous post. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:18 PM on Aug. 29, 2010