Can I give a cough supressant at night?

My son has pneumonia and is 20 months...can I give him a dose of cough syrup for the night time so that he can sleep better? I have done saline drops for nose and use bulb, vicks, and cool mist humidifier as well as vicks rub.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give your child any medication that the doctor hasn't prescribed. Especially cough suppressant!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If he is having trouble sleeping, yes. Use children's of course and go by his weight or call the hospital nurses on duty to ask them the doseage. Good luck.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't think you are supposed to use anything like that for children under the age of 2. I'm sorry to hear that your little one is going through that I hope he feels better soon.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If it is bad enough you may want to call the after hours line for your son's doctor. They would be able to help you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Diagnosed pneumonia or you think that's what it is? If the dr diagnsoed it, then please stick with the treatment the dr prescribed. My dr does not give cough supressants to children under the age of 4. He says that cough supressants work on the brain, the part that triggers the cough reflex. He says studdies show that it isn't good to give those types of medicines before 4 years old because it can cause seizures and other nuerological problems. If your child hasn't been seen by a dr, then please take him in. He may need breathing treatments.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• TECHINICALLY... at 20 months ... prob. not.
    I'd call the dr. to confirm ... and to get the right amt.

VIcks rub gen has worked for us (on chest and also on sole of feet -- put socks)
    Also having them sleep a little up rather than flat.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:16 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• There aren't any cough medicines made for children that young.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No. Didn't his dr prescribe something for pneumonia?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010