running/walking

If I just go for a walk/jog/run, will this help me drop pounds? I was thinking 2 miles maybe 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Any kind of movement is better than none. So, if you are going from none to that, then yeah it'll help.
    Just remember not to pig out afterward. That was my downfall in the beginning when I was walking a lot a few years ago. I'd walk for 6 miles and come home and empty the fridge, I was so hungry!
    It helps to have up beat music while walking, helps keep the pace up and distract you from the tiredness and soreness.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Yes! I would suggest walking first, then running for one minute after every five or ten minutes of walking, and then increasing the running slowly from there. I am a runner and have fallen out of shape and gotten back into shape a few times, so I have been at every point on this journey! Good luck to you! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:08 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If you walk the same distance as you run then you'll lose the same amoun t of calories :)

Being active always helps burn Calories. if you go from being unactive to active it always helps speed up your metabolism.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 10:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• somethings better thhan nothing so yes, drink water too
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I like to walk, jog, walk, jog, walk

- - - so walk 10 minutes, then run/jog in increasing amounts (3minutes, then in 2 weeks its 5 minutes, then in 2 more weeks its 8 minutes) then walk for 10 minutes again & keep going back & forth.

- - - Its supposed to be better than just running or just walking cuz it keeps your body guessing & burns more calories.

JessyMac

Answer by JessyMac at 1:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• As long as you're getting your heart rate up, but you also have to cut down on calories too...if you're looking to run/walk, check out Jeff Galloway. He was an Olympic marathoner and he has a program that you can follow to do this. Its fantastic. Lots of people use the method to run/walk marathons! Not that you have to go that extreme if you don't want, but its supposed to greatly reduce injuries and is fantastic for beginners.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• something is better than nothing - why not try and carry hand weights while you walk and/or ankle weights :o)
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010