Should i be friends with her and have my child around them?....

I was out with my friend and her 2 year old and her child was throwing massive fits to where she destroyed a store. my friend smacks her child and calls her names and yells at her loudly in public. I dont believe in spanking or hitting my child so i just kind of looked everyone was looking at us everywhere we went. I just couldnt believe it. She also cusses and her child repeats what she says and she laughs. I dont know if i want my child to be around that, that isnt my way of parenting or even a way that i would ever behave so i am not sure if i should be friends with someone like that and have my child around them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Its a personal preference. If you feel that it is not something for you then I would limit my time with them. Or even tell her that her behavior is not correct for public and she needs to stop. Cussing in front of her children and having them repeat it is not something that should be laughed at, she is making herself look pretty bad...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• what your child sees, she will soak up like a sponge. I would never want my child to be around that sort of behavior- and it seems like you wouldn't either. Have you been friends with this other woman long?? if so- are these actions of hers new??
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would absolutely not be around someone like that and especially not with my child. She sounds like such a low-class loser. Why would you need a friend like that?
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 8:16 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• its ur choice i personally wouldnt want my son around her, i mean i have disiplined my son in public but nothing that sounds like that... i will tell him no and step back and let him scream
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Two year olds can be monsters. I can understand a mother getting frustrated. I don't agree with how she handled herself and if you want to continue your friendship I would just ask her to please watch how she acts around you and your child. Good luck!
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I do not agree with how she handled it. Maybe you could be a better example. Her little girl needs more help than she can give her!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Not only do I agree with the above posts but she is emotionally abusing her child. I would bring that to her attention. If she gets mad then she probably won't be your friend. Frankly, that would drive me nuts and I would say something. It is abuse and asking her not to do it around you just means the poor kid still gets it when you aren't around. Stand up for that little person who can't.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• that is despicable. i think you are wise to question your friendship and exposing your child to that on a personal level. i hope someone helps that child!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• if you were questioning it before you got on here to ask an opinion then you already no the answer if i were out some where with some one and they were talkin in a way i didn't approve of in front of my child then i would have already made it clear to them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have one of those "friends" that thinks shes my "friend". She swears every other word, screams, hits, ect. Then she wonders why they act the way they do! Her neice and nephew live with her also and are autistic! hmmmm, really good situation! People are pathetic, sometimes I feel like I'm not a good mom then If I spend time around her or hear stuff like this I realize I"m a pretty great mom!!
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 11:08 PM on Oct. 10, 2008