Charter schools

My boys started a charter school this year and I was just wondering what you guys think or know the difference in charter and traditional schools other than smaller class sizes. I really would like something good to say when people say why did u choose a charter?

greenbeanmoma

Asked by greenbeanmoma at 10:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in

• Why did you choose a charter?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Two of my three children went to charter school. I fully support everything about them. I will forever be greatful for the alternative of smaller classes and a much better experience. :-).
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I had kids that were struggling in the public school system. What a life saver to have a better way to teach children and help them find a positive school experience.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My two older children have attended catholic school throught elementary and went on to a huge middle school, they did not enjoy the big chance and now go to a charter school which they really like. Also they get opportunities to travel and do public service trips, it is a comfortable school setting for them. The school they go to require the student to be accepted to a college before graduation.
    DKK2010

Answer by DKK2010 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Talk about the positive experiences your kids are having. Ask the teachers about the benefits of charter schools.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 12:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Does your Charter offer activities public doesn't?
    Smaller classes?
    Better teachers?
    Art, music, drama classes?
    Why did you pick Charter over public?
    Give people those reasons.

We tried Charter for our oldest and he was miserable. With only 1 class of his grade level, when he didn't make any friends within the class, there was nobody else for him to turn to. We moved him to public and he loves it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Like any other school, charter schools can be good or bad. Often, the teachers are ineligible for a position with the public school system. When a charter school is run by a for-profit corporation, profit is, by law, more important than education.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I chose the charter that DS is in because of their particular curriculum. They have extra support for the children that may need a little extra help and extra support for those that are more advanced.

dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 10:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The Cirriculum. The school has more freedom than a public school.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010