how many of u have ur young child help u cook

my son is 2 yrs old and he helps me make supper when he's not too busy playing... tonight he helped me make meat loaf....(he mixed it with his hands) he loves helping he is in the tub after that of course...

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 8:14 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Food & Drink

• My son loves to make meatloaf with me too. I have always had him in the kitchen with me while I cook. At first he was just playing with his toys but once he got old enough, around two, I started giving him small tasks to do in the kitchen. He is now almost 4 and he still loves to help me cook. I also volunteer at his preschool and we do cooking activities once a week in his class. I make copies of the recipe and send them home to every parent. Some parents are thankful for it while others are more annoyed by it. I personally think it is a great learning experience for children.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my 3 year old daughter loves helping me cook !!
    calize

Answer by calize at 8:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I let my 5 year old do the prep work nothing around the stove. He does make his own egos those his favorite but he insists I cut it for him because he doesn't want to get cut!
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 8:19 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Both of my girls (ages 4 and 2) love helping me cook....they expecially love making cupcakes ....its their favorite thing to make with me....they like to read the instructions to me...(the picture instructions)...lol....
    jenny_1012

Answer by jenny_1012 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my son loves to cook too! especially cupcakes.. (loooves to lick the bowl like his mom!) he'll be 3 next month!!!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 8:43 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You have just inspired me to start my own group. It's called Cooking with kids. I am always looking for recipe ideas and advice. If anyone is interested the group link is http://www.cafemom.com/group/89354

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My daughter is two and she loves helping, she stirs things a lot and I let her pour things into the bowl.. etc. It actually drives me a little crazy because she has some developmental delays, so I can't trust her to stand on a chair without stepping off the edge, so I have to hold her the entire time I cook, it's worth it though. She's very proud of her cooking and helping mom time.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:17 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I usually recruit my 3 year old to help me cook to keep him from messing with his big brother (7). He usually enjoys himself.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 1:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My two year old loves to help me cook. He spreads grated cheese on things, helps mix, adds salt and pepper (with help!), and many other things. He can also wash dishes on his step-stool (with cool water, of course), and sweeps the floor after dinner with his Swiffer broom. He also loads and unloads the dishwasher and sets the table. Now, if I could just get him to eat what he makes...
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 3:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My daughter has been cooking since she could stand! lol She's always loved being in the kitchen and helping whenever I cook or bake. She can cook pretty well herself these days and is getting more and more comfortable with baking too. It's nice to have the help, believe me! lol
    And I don't want her ending up like so many people these days, unable to cook anything that isn't precooked, prepackaged, and preserved!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2008