Mirena IUD

I'm 22weeks pregnant but I'm thinking of possible bc. I don't like the pill, I always forget to take them. Was thinking of the IUD. What do you guys recommend or strongly don't recommend.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

• It seems like a lot of people had bad experiences from it. I had it and absolutely LOVED it, I never had any problems with it, except I had to get the strings on it cut down (problem for SO not me really though). Other than that it was great! I think it depends on you and your body, every birth control has side effects that could occur, you have to just talk to your doctor and try them out. If I was having major problems with it than I probably wouldn't continue to use it for long periods of time, they are easily removable (most of the time).

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Its hard to answer because what works for some, doesnt for others. I hated the mirena. I had so mnay side effects and eventually had it removed but I have heard from others on here that they never had any problems with it. You just have to try something and see if it works for you. Good luck, finding the right BC is hard. Now my husband and I are using condoms because I am very hesitant about putting something else in my body.
    nodramamama311

Answer by nodramamama311 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i tried mirena twice, after i had each of my boys and i hated it,, i waas always sick, it was like it ruined my amune system and i was always catching everything,, i could never get over a sickness before i got another.. i 100% all the time had atleast a little headache,, it gave me horrible migranes while on it as well.. so bad that i couldnt even go to work or even get up to make super,, it got to the point where three or four nights a week i had to have my sister come over to watch the boys because it hurt o bad,, id never had migranes before and i deffinetly never felt so helpless to the pain,, i finelly took it out ( yes i was soo desperate that i looked it up on the net and took it out myself, plus i had no insurence), i was at work and had to leave early bcause the pain was over whelming...less then three hours after i took it out my migrane was %100 gone!! no head ache at all!! and i havent had one migrane since!!
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:54 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I had major problems with the Mirena because my body couldn't handle the hormones (after being on the pill for over 8 years straight before I stopped in order to get pregnant) but it did work well at making my periods shorter and lighter. I had it replaced with a Paragard (copper) IUD, and that one made me bleed constantly and heavily after about 9 months of having it in. I have heard good things about both forms though - so it just depends on you! I'm not sure the Mirena would be the best choice if you are planning on breastfeeding though...it dried me up COMPLETELY (luckily, my son weaned himself before then).

IUDs are easy though! I will say that.
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Oh...I will just point out that my symptoms with the Mirena were similar to those others posted. I got WICKED headaches, and I was crazy...emotional. Crying or mad ALL THE TIME.

With the Paragard, it was easy but almost impossible to have sex because I bled so much ALL THE TIME, so it was almost pointless, haha. Not to mention I was ruining clothes and bed sheets and other things. However, I am guess I am a rare case. One of the side effects of the Paragard is heavy periods though. Needless to say, I also had that one removed and now my husband and I just use condoms since I don't trust hormonal BC.
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 11:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• CariadSpawn ......yes those head aches were BAD!!! at first i thought that i just kept getting really bad sinus infections..then it was like they never went away. and no medicine was helping at all... i eventually figured out that it had nothing to do with allergys.. it was deffinetly the iud.. it was alot worse the 2nd time i had it.. honestly the first time i had it i just related most of the symptoms to the fact that i just had a baby and that my body was probly just tired from it all ya know.. but it was very clear after i got it again that it was the mirena.. i advise NO ONE to get it.. i researched it alot and it wade people crazy.. they didnt feel safe around their kids, scared that they would hurt them or themselfs.. very depressed and or emotional all the time.. it was scary reading all that stuff... thats the day i took it out, lol i was like "hell no!!" im done with all that crap, haha
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 11:11 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I have the 10 year Paraguard copper IUD and I love it. I have had zero problems with it and would recommend it to anyone. You don't even know its there and never have to remember to take anything or insert anything or replace anything. I have had it for about 2 years now. Also you return to 100% fertility after having it removed. And it can be inserted or removed at the OB's office in about 5 minutes. Good Luck in whatever you choose.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010