my 15 month old loathes the carseat and the car, she screams and ive tried everything. any one else have this

maymummy

Asked by maymummy at 10:50 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I bought a cheap dvd player and played it constantly. I also had to forward face her at this point. The screaming was more of a hazard for me driving.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• i think i may have to
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• If I could have kept her rear facing, I would have loved too. She would scream from the time we got in till the time we got out.

That whole, Put them in the car and they fall asleep...BS for my child.

My sanity returned the day I turned her. The dvd player kept her entertained as well. you could try keeping her rear facing and put the dvd player in to see if it would help to start with...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• "too bad so sad" its not a choice...."you can fight me on it or you can climb in by yourself"
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:57 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• My DS had the same problem. He screamed from the 1st time we put him in the car and he is 2.5 and the only thing that has saved us was the dvd player and turning him around. He still isn't a huge fan of the car but it isn't a screaming car ride every time
    Annacka

Answer by Annacka at 11:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• what a dumb answer , shes a baby . i dont do too bad blah blah , hardly helpful advice
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• dvd player it is then
    maymummy

Comment by maymummy (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• when my youngest daughter would do this I would give her a toy to distract her or something she liked to hold on to while I buckled her in, then while driving I would point out things and get her excited about them, like abird I'd say "wow, look at the birs, look look it's flying, do you see it?" or "ohhh loook at the lights how pretty'' eventually it just wasn't a fight anymore and she liked going out, I would also tell her before we would leave, ''we're going bye bye and I need you to sit in your seat and not cry, if you can't then we can stay here." she'd always wanna go of course so it got better and now its a thing of the past.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• small steps - go for a drive for only 3 or 4 mins- as you put her in the car give her a box of tissues and show her how to pull one out. Keep showing as you put her belt on. let her pull the tissues as you drive, come home, big kisses and cuddles - its all about building new habits. Or get a new book with push button noises that stays in the car. Does she love the Wiggles or another toddler singing group? Get a disc of their songs and then sing along as loud as you can over her noise. or teach her songs with simple hand actions - twinkle twinkle little star, 3 fat sausages, then start singing and she will get distracted and do the actions with. Many times I've driven along singing " 3 little ducks went out one day" like I'm demented. All I can say is this gets easier as they older.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• my second daughter was that way. EXACTLY LIKE THAT! sometimes we'd let her bring a toy with her as a distraction. or just keep a toy in the car that she's only allowed to play with during car rides. if that doesn't help (because it doesn't always work), you'll just have to ignore her & be consistent. as she screams, don't even say a word to her, not even to tell her to be quiet or calm down. it could take a while for it to work, but it's highly effective if you're consistent. it took a good while for the screaming to end, but we now have very peaceful car rides. there isn't much else you can do. dvd players are helpful if she's forward facing. i wish you luck! i know how frustrating it can be!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 11:09 PM on Aug. 29, 2010