To Breastfeeding Moms...Please help!

My DD is 7 1/2 months old. I finally got her sleeping good at night but now I can't get her to take naps. When I get her to sleep she wakes up as soon as I lay her down. The only way she'll nap is if I hold her, take a nap with her or if were in the car she'll nap good. She's got a blanky that she keeps with her. My question is how do I get her to stop using me during the day as her paci? Any ideas would help. Thanks.

DreamComeTrue08

Asked by DreamComeTrue08 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she use a real paci....maybe that would help her....but since she is 7 months old she might not take to one too well...but ya never know.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Try lying down with her and nursing her...see if you can get her to fall asleep that way. Then if you do not want to keep her in your bed carefully transfer her to her crib, after about 15 minutes....After a while she will become used to napping. I do this with my two twins, they like to pacify with me, use not pacifier...but after awhile they finally stopped and use their blankies and their thumbs.
    badvsewingrrl

Answer by badvsewingrrl at 8:31 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• She will not use a paci or a bottle at all. And I have tried laying down with her until she falls asleep...sometimes I just quietly rool out of bed and let her sleep in my bed alone or I transfer her to her crib but either way she still wakes up. I'm at a loss as to what to do. She's used to sleeping in her swing for her naps but she has out grown it. I really messed up letting her nap in her swing!
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 8:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Okay, so for my 2 cents, which is probably worthless in today's market...breastfead babies dont' usually go for fake pacifiers. They like the ones that are on mommy. The real kind. And unless y ou are planning on weaning, you may not want to go the route of paci or bottle since niether is like you, no matter what the manufacturer says. And I went throught that stage with both of mine. I had to do like the badvsewingrrl said, I laid down with them and let them nurse to sleep, broke the latch after 15 mins or so, then gently put them in the playyard. It took a little getting used to, but it works. Hey, wouldn't you rather sleep cuddled up with your paci, drink, and warm comforter (mommy) right next to your cheek?
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:18 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm not trying to get her to take a paci or bottle. I tried it in the past (a bottle when she was about 3 months old). I was just hoping to find some way to get Kaitlyn to take a nap without me holding her or sleeping with her. Like I said before...everytime I lay her down she wakes up or if I'm laying with her she'll wake up as soon as I roll out of the bed. She slept good when I let her nap in her swing...that was my mistake, letting her get used to sleeping in the swing.Just don't know what else to try.
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I feel your pain i have a 8 and 9 year old and they both slept in my bed till they were 3. Now that i have another one, i dont want the same thing to happen. But i seem to be falling in the same position you are. My son is 5 weeks old and he sleeps with us every night, naps with me every day, and if i get up he gets up. I need help to! I am BF so at the begining i thought it was easier to just bring him in bed with us. Now i think i made a big mistake. Any advise on how to get him to sleep in his crib will help.
    kristi041281

Answer by kristi041281 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My baby does the same thing (only she's younger).I got her a cradle swing, and she'll stay asleep in it longer than anything when I have it going side to side. Also if I nurse her lieing down in the bed, when she goes to sleep I can leave her. Also, I've noticed if she wakes up and can see me most of the time she'll go back to sleep. When I lay her down I have tp pat her back or put my hand on her, so she'll go back to sleep.
    stephy85

Answer by stephy85 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008