Does this mean an eye problem?

My son has always closed one eye while looking at something. Especially when he's asking what something is. He's been having problems being extra clumsy lately, and I have plans to take him to the eye doctor, I just don't know when we're going to make it there. Does anyone else have a toddler/preschooler that does/did that? Did they end up needing glasses or an eye patch or something? Thanks!

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:33 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would make sure I found the time to get to the DR. soon. It sounds like he has a vision problem and waiting to get there could cause it to get worse. We also found that when we got our DS glasses his behavior became less of a problem, because he could now see everything in class , which meant he had less time to goof off.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• The reason I said we have no idea on when we're going to make it there is that I have no idea what eye doctor around here does pediatric eye care, and I have no idea how long I'll have to wait for an appointment.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Any optometrist should be able to do an eye exam on a child. I take my kids to the same one my hubby sees, including my youngest who is 4 now (3 when I first took him). I had to have an eye removed because of uncontrolled glaucoma which left me with a blind, painful, odd looking eye (the prosthetic looks and feels great). If I had gone to the eye Dr sooner we could have been more aggressive in treating it and maybe we could have saved at least some of my sight. Anyway, as a result of this I am very conscious of taking my kids for yearly eye exams. If nothing else taking your son to a general optometrist should give you an idea of what's wrong and they can refer you to a specialist if needed.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• hE NEEDS TO BE SEEN BY A DOC OR AN EYE DOC!
    40andholding

Answer by 40andholding at 1:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He really needs to go to a Doctor ASAP. My Son has had vision problems since he was 18 months old. The longer you wait, the worse it can be. It sounds like he is having issues and may need glasses. Any place should see your Son. Wal-Mart even does exams on little kids. Please take the time to get him in ASAP. I am certain that it will help him feel so much better and you will probably see a difference in his attitude as well.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i just found this out. my eye doctor told me that he could see kids at the age of one. the preschool i sent my kids too had to get a form checked by the dentst and their doctor. i really think they should include the eye too. but if i were you, don't wait too long please. he may end up blind because of being to busy. good luck.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• An optometrist is only going to look at eye health and visual acuity, but they might be able to give you a referral if you describe this problem to him/her. This doesn't sound like an eye health issue, but one of a visual perception issue. It might be something as simple as a "lazy eye" in which case they would patch the good eye for a few hours a day to strengthen the muscles of the weak eye. Or, it could be something more serious. The longer you wait for intervention, the harder it will be to fix the problem. DO NOT WAIT.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Could mean the he needs glasses. Just call any eye dr. and ask if they can see him, most see children too.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 10:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• usually any eye doctor takes kids i took my son to the same eye doctor as me. and i do think you should take him asap to the doctor it sounds like hehas a problem with one eye. you can also call his doctor and ask her where you can take him o rmaybe even if theirs a place that doesnt need appointments. good luck and i hope everything is ok but yes i think you take him soon so things dont get worse if he hs something
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I've been calling places all morning, and the only pediatric ones I can find said I have to wait till the end of September, even after I tell them what's going on. All the other places I call say that I have to be their patient before they can see him, and MY eye doctor doesn't see kids under five. I'm still searching...
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010