Do you like the terms Italian American or African American? Or do you think that we should just be called AMERICANS

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't bother me because different groups have cultural differences and that makes us interesting, at the end of the day we are all Americans.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I don't mind. I don't have some big hang up about how people wish to be identified. It's up to them.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• to me, every citizen is an American, no matter what race or origin. however, i think we've all become so afraid of racism that discussing ethnicity (which should be an innocent topic) has become politically incorrect.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 11:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would like it if we all just thought of ourselves as Americans.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I would like to be called american,And I dont think we should have to think of race as something so serious,it really doesnt matter.

We all bleed red.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

• I guess American with an Italian ancestry? Or a family background of Italians and whatever your relatives call themselves? It doesn't really seem that important.
    I am American with a Scotch,Irish,Dutch,Welsh,Swedish and Norwegian Heritage or Ancestry. Whewwww. That's way too complicated,don't you think? LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Don't like them. One is either American, or not. Unless there is dual citizenship, of course. Then the hyphenated variant is appropriate. But I think we are and should call ourselves American, and leave it at that.

I am not saying that every family should forget their heritage, and the culture of that heritage. That does have a place in our culture and it is important, but we are American first!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm White, so I really don't get those terms attached to me, BUT, I see a need for them more than a want. I mean, I would rather hear someone called an African American than Black or Nigro or some of the other terms people use. Many people are very proud of their heritage, I know my husband's father was full blooded German, and my DH likes the term German American, because of his pride of that heritage... Are we all Americans? Yeah, but why strip someone of their heritage just so they can be a lost face in a crowd? I am very proud of my heritage, but unfortunately none of it is strong enough to put me in one of those categories... I'm just way to mixed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Are we all Americans? Yeah, but why strip someone of their heritage just so they can be a lost face in a crowd? I am very proud of my heritage, but unfortunately none of it is strong enough to put me in one of those categories... I'm just way to mixed.
    ----
    So then your pride in your heritage should carry more weight than pride in your country? I am of the opinion that it should be the other way around. And isn't it discriminatory to acknowledge the heritage of only some citizens, and not ALL of them, as some are, as you put it, way too mixed? If we do this for all, then the American part loses its significance, because all the attention goes to the Italian or the German or the Dutch or the African or the Japanese part (because the American part is there for all, so it doesn't really matter)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I can't stand them terms... I was born in America, that makes me an American!! Yes I am Italian myself, but I wasn't born there, and never was my mom... we are Americans... My grandfather was born there and came to America so yea, technically HE is an Italian American....Same with African American, they are not from Africa... there parents probably not either...

And as far as the heritage part... how many people actually KNOW there ancestery that far back?? I'm willing to bet not that many... I wish more people would embrace their AMERICAN heritage.. the stuff they actually got!! We are born in America, we are American EOS...

Also, what about the people who are of mixed 'cultures'... italian german, polish... do we call them italian,german,polish americans?? no
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2010