Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Some questions about getting your tubes tied...........

My husband and I are not planning any more children. I am on the depo shot right now but I have heard you can only be on it for 2 years. Maybe in the future I will get my tubes tied. But what do the doctors require before they will do it? I have one child but I am only 23. And will Medical pay for it?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • No Worries- I was 21 when i had my Tubes Tied; my daughter was 2 & i had it done the day after my son was born- i made my mind up while i was pregnant, i only wanted 2 & i had no problems with my Dr. agreeing & that was in 1988- So, i am sure you can have it done & Medical will pay! Wishing you lots of luck!

    Answer by daisyb at 11:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • My medical card paid for mine, but I had to be sure to have my paperwork done 60 days in advance. My ob's only do it of you have 3 kids and are over 25--- I think.

    Answer by mom2LandL at 11:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • I don't want more than one child. I have bipolar disorder and me haveing more children isn't realy a good idea so maybe they will make an exception.

    Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:51 PM on Aug. 29, 2010

  • It will take going to a bunch of different doctors. I had Essure done instead (same but different, IMO more reliable). I had it done last year, I was 21 with 2 kids. It took going to 3 different doctors before I found one willing to do it. As for your insurance paying for it, it depends on your insurance but most do.

    Answer by purpleducky at 9:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • You are going to have to go to different doctors until you find one that agrees most likely.

    My doctor will not do any type of permanent birth control (aka sterilization technique) unless you are:
    Over 25
    Have at least 2 children
    OR have a solid medical reason for not having anymore children.

    My GP won't do a vasectomy unless you are:
    Over 30
    Have at least 2 children

    After you are over 35 (I believe) they will both do the sterilization techniques. But I do know there are doctors in town that will do vasectomies with far less restriction than they will do female sterilization because while expensive and sometimes a failure vasectomies can be reversed much more easily and successfully than tubal sterilizations.

    I'm not sure if Medicaid will cover the procedure or not but the doctor you find that will do it will know that offhand I'm sure.

    Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010