My daughter just turned 1 but she acts like she is in the terrible two's. She didnt start acting like this until she started daycare. Is there any advise on how to deal with this problem.

mprincess07

Asked by mprincess07 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We've kind of had the same problem with our son. He has started hitting and having tantrums. They are just trying to understand their world more. Be persistant and consistant with your beliefs. I must say 50 times a day "we don't hit" while holding his hand. If he is tantruming, I let him go, as long as he isn't in danger.
    maxsmom327

Answer by maxsmom327 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My Daughter went to Daycare when she was 2 and 3 and I noticed a big change in the way she acted, I think that the big problem is the daycare she went to she had alot more freedom to do whatever she wanted to do(Ya know make messes and they would just clean it up and she would not get into trouble) The secound thing is, you don't know how all the other children that go there act she may be acting like them because she see's the way are, My daughter would come home with Bite marks on her just about everyday, and she started biting her baby brother because she thought it was ok, I talked to the ladies that worked there, and they said that they did not say anything to the little boy because he did not know any better, Our kids DO pick up on what they see other kids doing, the only advice I can give is, when she is home you need to let her know that you will not tolerate the things they let her get away with, One day just drop by the daycare, sit and watch!
    mykidsmylife06

Answer by mykidsmylife06 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• she cant talk as well as an adult and has to let her frustration out though acts. she is probably having some separation issues due to the new daycare so make sure you set aside special one on one time with her each afternoon. finger painting, cooking-mixing ingredients together, be creative.
    but make sure that when she throws the fits that she is not getting the attention she is craving from you this way. pick her up and let her throw her fit in a certain spot.. kinda like a time out chair... do not give in and make sure she goes to the fit corner each time and you ignore her there. make her stay in it and dont pick her up and give in. soon she will realize that she gets your attention when she is good and when you do the activities but not when she is throwing a fit.
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 12:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Daycare can really change a childs behavior. I had the same problem and mine was only in it 6hrs a week. Its tough but we just had to be consistant.
    duganhorse

Answer by duganhorse at 12:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2009