Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Birth Certificate Help

I dont have my sons father on the birth certificate.. We have been broken up for almost 2 years now.. His dad joined the army and can get good medical insurance and other stuff for my son, but i heard that if i put the dads name on it that he has a say in what i do with the baby is that true.. And i have SOLE custody.. If anyone can help please do,..

Thank you

Answer Question

Asked by Truelv21 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 4 (37 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • well if he is the dad he should have a say in what you do....I don't know the law exacts but if he helps provide for him he can have a say if he chooses. Does he have a say now or does he help?

    Answer by hill2 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • To put his name on the birth certificate he will either have to sign a form stating he is the father, or you will need DNA tests done. Once you put him on the birth cert. he has every right to expect visitation with his child. He also can challenge you in court for custody. In order for him to have coverage through the Army your ex will have to claim him as a dependant. In the last few years when the father has not always been on the birth cert..or accepted paternity later..the milkitary is often requiring DNA proof.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • if you want him to acknowledge his son for responsibility, he has the right to push for acknowledgement as far as visitation and custody..
    (although it's unlikely he'd win more than visitation at this point).

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Hill2 he has court order child support moved to new york 2 weeks after the baby was born and has not been back didnt start asking how the baby was untill he was like 9 months old..

    Comment by Truelv21 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • It doesn't matter if he's on the birth certificate or not, as the father he has rights anyways.

    Since you have him on court ordered child support already, that means you admitted he was the father. He has paternal rights.

    He can take you to court for custody if he wants to.

    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • greeneyedgrandma-- he already saifd he was the father when th state of arizona filled papers for child support. so thats not a problem.

    xxhazeldovexx-- sso far visitations are up to me since he just up and left.. and since he was personally served in new york 4-5 times and h didnt respond to any of them, the courrt did everything for me. I did not have to do anything..

    I have alot of thinking to do now, but thank you guys for your help.

    Comment by Truelv21 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I have my daughters father on her bc and he has no say what so ever because he doesnt pay anything for her but if your childs father paid child support and wanted to be in your childs life then he should have a say other wise no

    Answer by amandaeastman at 12:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • before the court order was in place he quit working so he would not have to pay. When he moved back home his family kept saying the it wasnt his son and he belived them for the longest time, and all of them would be calling bad names including my son dad..and than threatened me and my family when he did get served.

    Comment by Truelv21 (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.