How can I get my baby to bond with my husband?

I have a six month old daughter that just does not seem to get along with her dad. When she was born we just figured it was because I was breast feeding so she wanted me more, however we are still having issues six months later. My husband really tries with her but she can be really mean to him. She never cries but if I leave her alone with dad she just cries until someone else gets her away from him or if I come back she stops crying right away and just starts to laugh. She isn't like this with anyone else just him. My husband is really upset by it and I don't know how to make things better. Has anyone gone through this?

morbidkeeb

Asked by morbidkeeb at 12:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boys are the same way and it upsets my husband. One is 4 and one is 17 months and we still have problems they sometimes want daddy but not very offten. I am always with them and he works long hours and we just think thats what it is.
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:47 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My DS will cry with daddy too, probabl;y because I BF. I have my DH hold him more often, and I leave the room at times to get him to bond more. I have my DH bottle feed too at times. My DD was like that as an infant too, but now at age 4 she is a TOTAL daddy's girl.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It will come in time.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's not because of breastfeeding. Babies are mommy clingers that's how they are built, also some babies just have the ability to sense tension. If your husband shows stress or frustration or emotion like that the baby may be picking up on it. It could be the sound of his voice, or the smell of aftershave, or even glasses or a beard.

To help , at first stay in visible range so the baby feels secure. Then he can play games with her that you do not play, he can wear her in a baby carrier on his back/side/front, he can take her outside and show her the wonder of grass (babies get very distracted with the wonder of outside!), he can let her ride on his shoulders, he can take over diaper changes, help with bathing.

Babies tend to be happiest in the morning. If you don't cosleep, take advantage of late morning weekends and bring baby in bed with you to have fun poking at daddy's face or playing peekaboo.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Tell him to relax. For much of year one, dad is no more than a Hairy Scary Beast with a Big Booming Voice. There's no coincidence that the old TV show "Dinosaurs" had the baby dino always screaming "NOT THE MOMMA" at his dad! Some writer paid attention to real babies.

Dad bonds by BEING THERE. Dad will become more fascinating as baby becomes older and mobile (able to run away from the Hariy Scary Beast if needed) and learns that the Hairy Scary Beast is rally a Warm Fuzzy. Then it will be All Dad All The Time, and he'll be begging you to give him a break.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010