DD turns 18 in two hours,,,have you gone through this?

Its a milestone, a little bit bigger then some other ones. She can sign her own legal documents now, she can vote, shc can join the military. She can get an abortion without my permission. She can get called up for jury duty. But,,,for now, she is starting her senior yr of high school and I get to hold onto her for one more year. Wow ladies,,Im here. She still needs me right? :)

beyondhopes

Asked by beyondhopes at 1:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• CONGRATS!!! NO BUT I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE DAY, THEN AGAIN I CAN I LOVE WATCHING MY KIDS GROW UP!!
    queenb1180

Answer by queenb1180 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Your daughter will need you forever, but the person that she needs you to be, the role you will play in her life, it will change as she does.

As a baby and a toddler, I needed my mother for everything. As a young child, I needed her to give me a little freedom while keeping me tethered safely to my mom. As a teen, I needed more freedom and a little guidance. And as an adult, and a mother myself, I need my mother more than ever... to be the friend who has been there, the friend who can watch and listen as I go through this adventure myself, never judging, but always there to lift me up when I need it.

Enjoy your daughter's adulthood. I know my mother has enjoyed mine.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 1:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Of course she still needs you. I cannot imagine how I will feel when my Daughter turns 18. One of the biggest things to remember is that she needs you to be there for her and she also needs you to be willing to let go a little bit. There will probably be some time when she wants to be independant and you have to let her spread her wings. However, she will be back. I have found that when we get older and start settleing down into life, we need our Moms more than ever. Keep reminding yourself of that.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Congratulations.
    It didn't seem to be a big deal for my kids when they turned 18. They didn't feel the need to do anything special. They were in high school,getting ready to enter college. It was no big deal for me either. Age is just a number,in any case. it was just another Birthday to me when I was 18. THere were no big changes. LOL..I wasn't in a big hurry to grow up. Neither were my kids.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She will always need you. You're MOM!! Mine just turned 17 and is a senior. I'm in the same boat!! Where does the time go??!!simple frown

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Doesn't matter how old they are, our children will always need us.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• BTDT.. My 18 year old moved out and left the state for college week before last.

Yes. She can now do all of those things.. And yes in many ways she is no longer going to "need" you.. However. She will still "need" you, just the type of "need" has/will change.. During this time, the parent/child relationship begins to evolve and change again (just like it did from toddler to tween, from tween to teen... ). That's all.. She will still need you, just the types of need will change, and how you two interact in regards to those needs will change.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Daughters always need their Mothers 1 way or another. My DD is married and still calls for advise, it just gets to be a different need as they grow. But she'll always be there.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I think so!
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 2:19 AM on Sep. 30, 2010