what can i do to make her stop ??

hello , i have a daughter who is almost 21 , ever since she was a teen i noticed that she cuts herself , i talked to her and her dad ( my ex husband now) at that time but we didn't do anything due to some problems i myself was facing with her father , i admit i should have dealt with it before and i know i was wrong i regret it everyday , last time i went to her place i noticed some serious injuries and cuts on her wrist and arms , i don't know what to do she is refusing to get help. and she is an adult so i don't have any parental authorities over her , please help .
thanks .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hey, I didnt start cutting till I was an adult myself. I was so numb emotionally, cutting was my way of screaming out for help. I felt so out of control with my emotions, dead inside. Its a horrible illness. Have you tried an intervention on her? Even though she is an adult, they can still try to do an intervention on her to get her into treatment. Im so sorry you are going through this and for what dd is going through too. Its a horrible hell. Even to this day, if I drag my writs and arms across certain hard plastic material at my job I still feel that feeling of how it feels to cut..I hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That sounded so strange that I wanted to clarify. I work with sharp plastic material,,and sometimes, I scrap my arms against it,,,thats when I am reminded of when I cut. Not that Im actually looking for it now,,,sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't know what to say but I bumped you so maybe you can get more answers.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If she won't accept help from you, there isn't a lot you can do then. Just be there for her when she finally realizes that she needs some help.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If she doesn't want help, you can't "make" her stop. :(
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Check with your health care provider..there are states that allow what is called the "Baker act" . This act will help when someone like a family member or authorited believe someone is in danger of hurting themself they could seek therapy for her without her consent.
    Rosivick

Answer by Rosivick at 8:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• oh.. the regrets.. i myself did the same.. for about 4 years. i didnt stop until after i got my bryant (my boyfriend of almost 4 years) of all the people that talked to me about it.. he was the one that helped me see that its NOt the way to deal with things.. it was VERy hard to not turn to cutting when i got mad, upset, stressed, any of it.. and then i got pregnant, and theres no way i would ever do anything to hurt myself while im pregnant...
    she needs suport,, its hard to find what will help someone. everyone is different and does it for different reasons
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 12:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Let her know that she is loved...Encourage her to go to counseling, and that you'll go with her.
    But most importantly, LOVE... everyone wants to feel wanted...make her feel that way!
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 1:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• me myself would call the police and state to them that you have a adult child that is harming herself by cutting and they can pick her up and take her to a hospital and put a 3day hold on her.

littlemonkey805

Answer by littlemonkey805 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• is there a way you can have her committed?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2010