How to get my almost 3 year old more interested in the potty?

My son is almost 3 and has no interest in actually going potty on the toilet. He likes reading books about it, letting his animals go and sit on the potty. He will not sit long enough to go. He doesn't seem to mind the feeling of being wet or poopy. He learns other things very quickly but this is just not happening...any help?

Andrea M.

Asked by Andrea M. at 1:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm having the same problem with my 3 year old son. I heard about a site called
    www.bye-bye-diapers.com I'm actually on it right now. I'm going to try it. Hopefully it works.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Erika
    www.ErikaCarrillo.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

•      Some kids are just resistant to potty training including my daughter who is now 5. She was not talking at the normal potty training age as she has a speech delay so we ran into trouble because she couldn't or wouldn't communicate. Shes gotten much better with a lot of work with her speech therapist but were still fighting the potty training. She can and will go on the potty when she realizes she lost the battle.. but she is very headstrong and thinks she can do whatever she wants lol.

Recently we decided to give her a big reward when she fills her potty chart ( her first trip to the zoo). And we drew pictures of her and the potty and then her going to the zoo and hung them on the bathroom wall where she can see them on the potty. This seems to be encouraging her as shes gone quite a few times in the past two days. Shes learns best visually so we made it fun and artistic.

Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 1:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• put him on it while your running his bath water. make sure you give him plenty of drinks before bath. plus i told me kids that they couldn't go to school unless they were potty trained.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 3:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• we live in a woodsy area so we let him pee on trees and bushes and he was off with it, just be sure to mention we dont doody on trees haha, i didnt think that literal but kids do! he is now four and sleeps through the night without anything but underwear! Good luck!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 3:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• boys think its funny to pee on things, i use to even throw a piece of tiolet paper in the potty and make it a game to potty on it, totally works, I have heard of people throwing cheerios or something in the toilet for them to aim at other than t. p .
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 3:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have girls, but a friend of mine said that she let her son put a sticker on the outside of the actual toilette and she pretended the toilette was a racecar. I think he was a little bit younger, but he took to it very quickly and was trained within a week. Good luck to you!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Make sure "YOU" go potty frequently where he can "SEE" you sitting down and he might begin to mimic you. They see it as totally normal and they love to mimic their mommy all the time. I also made up funny songs to sing, they loved that. I also gave big "cheers" and a funny little "dance" when they went poopy. I showed them I was totally excited, they got excited too and wanted to keep sending their pee-pee and poopy to the "Poopy Family" (down the toilet). Hope this helps? The first thing I mentioned probably helped the MOST!!
    Mommy--

Answer by Mommy-- at 3:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010