How old was your infant or toddler when you gave them peanut butter?

My daughter just turned 12months old on the 22nd. She had some 2 days ago and tonight. I figured since wic say'sit'sok it must be fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since there is no history of peanut allergy on either side of the family we gave it to DD at 12 months.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Two years old. The WIC lady told me that she didn't know why they gave us peanut butter at 12 months, and told me it was better to wait until 24 months, so I did. She loves it now.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 1:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Unless there is a history of peanut, tree nut, or latex allergies chances are good that she'll be fine. Keep in mind though, that some allergies to not present until the 5th or more time the child is exposed.

We have no history of peanut allergies, so all of my kids had it around a year.

Glad your DD liked it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If I recall it was around a year, I was a bit freaked out at first giving it to her as I have many food allergies but not peanuts. Her doctor advised me to just start with a little bit and wait and see if she has any reaction. She was fine and loves it I don't know how I would take it away from her now if she ever did develop an allergy.
    Alyia72

Answer by Alyia72 at 2:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The rule in our house was a year. There is no history of allergy in either family. But with my youngest, he got his first at about 7 months... how did that happen you ask? His big brother gave him reeses pieces.... Ahhhhh! I about died when I realized he had them, but he was fine. When I told his doctor, he just laughed and said the recommendation is really for families with possible allergies.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My first we gave it to him at 2. My husband is allergic so we waited rather than give him any at 1. My second was given it at 13 months - his older brother shared his peanut butter sandwich with him, lol. He was fine so I let him have a little bit every now and then. When he get to 2 I'll start giving him more.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 2:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We wait til age 2. No family history of food allergies but DS ended up with lots of food allergies so I don't buy the whole "history" aspect. Also keep in mind that peanut butter is a choking hazard.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• As long as there is no history of allergies your fine to start at 12 months. My son had a peanut butter waffle for breakfast on his first birthday :) We have no history of allergies and were okayed by his pedi!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My first daughter had a different pediatrician that wanted us to wait til she was 2, so we did. We had to change peds bc he moved out of town and our new one told us to do it whenever we thought she was ready after a year, so we did it recently at 15 months with our youngest.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010