when would babies start eating some "adult" food? My baby is 5 months and I am breastfeeding but I give him some mashed potatoes sometimes- only about a teaspoon or less... i only did that twice and I gave him a little jello once and we started on his "first foods" sweet potatoes- is there anything wrong with that? when did you other parents start giving your children food and what were the results? thanks.

I also want to know how did you other moms wean your baby from breastfeeding or at least get him to take bottle and breast??

vdegraffenreid

Asked by vdegraffenreid at 8:45 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, you're fine!! I started giving my baby solids at 3 months, she's now 9 months and eats #3's and regular soft food.
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 8:47 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• my son who is 20 now, well my grandmother started feeding him mashed potatoes white gravey at 2 wks old. cause he was well still hungry my brests driied up. even the baby formula wouldn't help him to calm down. i freaked out on her, she said what i feed you the same thing every morning at 8am. and at 6pm. till you were 6 months. her secret was no salt, no pepper, all bland it worked for her she said as i was just as fussy as my son was. i was her favorite first grandchild. so grandmother knows best. i did the same to my 18 yr old when he was 2 wks old. she was pure italian you didn't want to mess with her. she raised 6 boys 10 grandkids this way. then my son. talk to older women in the 60's they may have some secrets that moms in there 40's don't have. watch out for ingredients. it has to be made homemade from scratch. if you give it to soon they could have an allergic reaction. good-luck
    ladyvalarie

Answer by ladyvalarie at 9:04 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The only concern with feeding him "adult food" is that they have more than one ingredient in them. Mashed potatoes have other stuff besides just potatoes. If he is allergic to something in the adult foods, you won't be able to tell what it is.

For that reason, you should stick to single ingredient baby foods for a couple of months - either stage 1 or stage 2 will work, there's not much difference between the two. Just make sure it is a single ingredient food. Then feed him that food once a day for three days before trying the next new food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I don't believe that children should be given solids until after 6 months. That being said, my oldest is a food fiend, always has been. At nearly 5 months he crabbed a handful of mashed potatos from my plate and ate them. He decided he liked them, but I decided to start making outrmashed potatos out of yams from that point so he would get nutrition. My second didn't start solids til he was almost 8 months, I knew he was ready that day when I was eatting a banana and instead of just mouthing it like babies do, he got a piece off of it and went to town. So, I mashed his banana and avocado together everyday for a week and that is how he started. He didn't want more solid food til he was 14 months...so every child is different. But you really should take your cues from the baby. As long as you keep breastfeeding and introduce simple healthy food slowly, I am sure your little one will be just fine! All just my opinion.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:11 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My 1st was 2 months old and eatind mashed potatoes sweet potatoes and gravy all bland of course.
    My 2nd was 4 months and she wanted everything her daddy had spicy and all.
    My 3rd was almost 6 months before she really wanted any solid foods but when she did start eating she would only eat 3rd foods or real food
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 9:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• As far as the bottle goes has he ever had a bottle? if not don't start give him a cup he is old enough to start using a sippy
    GFXMommy

Answer by GFXMommy at 9:56 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    solids info
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• whenever the babys ready and when ur ready is a good age,theres never a good age,each baby is different,and when theyre ready theyre ready.if u give him the food and he eats it,hes ready.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 1:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2008