How to START breastfeeding if my baby is almost 7 month-old??

I fed my baby with formula and breast milk together since he was born. He has VSD so it was not really possible to breastfeeding, so I pumped and then started to use formula (50% formula-50% milk). Now he is gonna have a surgery and become a normal baby, so I really have chance to breastfeeding, but he use to eat from bottle! What to do??? BTW he can suckle on them at night lol.

murysa

Asked by murysa at 1:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• clappingFirst Off, I want to commend you for wanting to Breastfeed. My Daughter was also born with a hole in her heart. Her's was an ASD but it is basically the same thing. Breastfeeding is so much healthier for them and when you have a child who already has health issues that is important. You just need to start weaning him from the bottle and replacing it with your breast. It will take some time. Start by replacing one feeding a day to breast and then another feeding until you get him switched. Here is a link that may help you http://www.iloveindia.com/parenting/breast-feeding/bottlefeeding-to-breastfeeding.html KUDOS TO YOU MAMA! Do not give up. Keep going. This is a great choice that you are making for your baby.

hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• you know that the antibodies in breast milk only protect your baby for the first 6 months, so theres no point. you'd be doing it for yourself, not him. you'd be better of starting him on solid foods
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I just want to say the person above me is completely incorrect. Please don't give advice on something you obviously know nothing about.

First poster said what I would have said or check out kellymom.com :) Good job momma. You're making a great choice for your baby.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 3:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I delivered a NICU preemie last month and she was bottle fed my breastmilk, now that we're home I am struggling with actual breastfeeding. I'm afraid that if we go breast she'll drop weight. So far she gets so tired out at the breast and takes so long that we're both ready to throw in the towel. I'm going to take the above advice and replace just one feeding a day with breast for now. Any other advice on this?
    Mina16erin

Answer by Mina16erin at 4:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Many moms are successful with RELACTATION! Please join us in the BREASTFEEDING MOMS group, we can help you! Also, beware misinformation like....  "you know that the antibodies in breast milk only protect your baby for the first 6 months, so theres no point. you'd be doing it for yourself, not him. you'd be better of starting him on solid foods."  ....advice like this is inaccurate and harmful. The fact that you are even considering relactation is wonderful.. good for you!

catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 4:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If he's already used to suckling, this SHOULD be a breeze! Good luck, and awesome that you want to do this. And to that anon, DUH of course she's totally doing this for herself, not her kid. /sarcasm
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Some good info at getting an older baby to take the breast at Coaxing baby to the breast

Keep in mind that lots of moms have done this, with situations like yours or with adopted babies. You can do it! There is a group on relactating here on CM http://www.cafemom.com/group/37539

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Anon, you couldn't be more wrong if you said the sky was lemon yellow. Whoever told you such a silly thing? FIRE THEM. Breastmilk is FOREVER nutritious. FOREVER.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Looks like you've gotten great advice. Prayers the surgery goes well and YAY for mamas who know breast is ALWAYS best (not just for six months).
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thanks guys! You are really helping! I was talking to doctor today, she said he is not gonna gain weight if he gets milk only, and the formula contains more calories that he needs more than anything right now (his weight 5300gramms=11,11 Lb), so i can start bf after surgery. I am hoping that it will work!
    Mina16erin , I think you should try again and again if she is healthy and if your nipples are normal everythings should be fine. If she is peeing and pooping well so you r doing good!
    murysa

Comment by murysa (original poster) at 3:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2010