Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

what can i do if the principal doesn't let me take my son out from 2-3 pm for his speech therapy program?

its required by law, plus the state/medicaid is paying for it, how can I report her? To what agency? My son is in kinder and he has pervasive developmental disorder and she always complains about him like if she expects him to be normal, she didnt even know what his disorder was so I printed out 3 pages of it and gave it to her. Is she discriminating him since shes just complaining and saying negative things about him? plus there taking forever to evaluate him and I prefer him in a special education class where he will get more attention because right now hes in a regular class and the teacher has 30 students and all she does is complain to the principal things about him instead of telling me also its so weird that the second day he supposedly fell from a chair and started bleeding from his bottom lip I think either the teacher or a student did something to him! They want me to drug him up with the daytrana patch but i dont to

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in

Answers (13)
  • Start with the superintendant..than the school board

    Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I agree with PP, start with the Super- then go to the School Board and then go to the Capital and let them know. There are laws to make sure that he is getting what he needs and they need to be made to enforce them.

    Answer by hsmominky at 2:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I agree with the superintendant, then the school board. I would be keeping a log of ecveryone that Ispoke with,the dates, their name and what the conversation was about. i would also contact your intermediate school district for assistance, they may havean advocate and lots of suggestions. Also, your son needs an IEP (indivulized education plan) They have to have one if you request and do not signit if you do not agree with everything in it. This plan dictates his educational plan is. His therapy would be listed in it as well as any accommidations he may need. This way you have a plan that they must follow. Hang in there, you are the person that looks out most for your child.

    Answer by momof4treasures at 2:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • i agree go to the top person at the board, if that don't work tell them you'll go to the media. tell the principal that next time you'll have a camera crew with you. sometimes having the newscrews around helps. plus see if you can sit in the class.

    Answer by noel1978 at 3:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I agree. Go to the school board. Also don't assume someone did something to him, kids have accidents, for pete's sake. Take a deep breath and talk to the Board of Ed this am and explain the situation. She can't make you NOT pull him for speech. When you do get an IEP, make sure it's written in there that he gets pulled from school to go to speech.

     If you have any questions about IEPs or anything, PM me. My son is 16 and autistic, so I have had lots of experience with this.


    Answer by Cindy18 at 6:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • This needs done first, no matter what other steps you choose to take...
    The link will help you get started with the IEP process. The IEP must be requested in writing. I believe they have 30 days to respond once you submit the request. I would personally give one to the principal, the superintendant, the school psychologist, and any person over the special education processes in your school district. This is not going to be easy and it takes some time. Be sure to get his doctors/therapists involved if possible - you can request that they attend the IEP meeting.
    I was curious as to why the therapy must take place during school hours? Also - if your child receives the IEP, the school will likely have to provide the therapy.

    Answer by niknik78 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Oh, and I forgot to mention, (about the principal bad-mouthing your child) you should report the principal to the board immediately. I would report it verbally, but also issue them the complaint in writing during the meeting. I would state in the complaint that if you do not see action on the situation within 30 days, you will be reporting the district to the Office of Civil only have 6 months for this link...
    Let me know if you need any more help, I will see what I can do. I went through all of this with my son, too. It's a big can do it. Asking for advice shows your ready for it.

    Answer by niknik78 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I would go to the Superintendant. Demand that they set up and IEP meeting to address his needs. Keep the speech therapy appointments (if this is the only time they can do them), but see if you can rearrange for them to be outside of school hours. IF not, keep the appointments and turn in (and keep a copy) of the written excuse every time he is out for one. If they give you any issues once you are working with the Superintendant, then go to the School Board!

    Answer by mommy11260 at 8:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I would go to the school board, or the superintendent. I hope you get some answers!

    Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • You have to go to the district office and file a formal complaint. If you don't hear anything back in a few days, keep after them.

    Answer by OneToughMami at 1:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.