Dog hair, driving me insane....

Okay, so I have a white american bull dog, who sheds like a cat!!!! I have black everything!! Black couches, black entertainment stand, computer area, etc.... the hair is eevvverrryyywhhheerree... i spend OVER an hour a day vacuming all the hair off everything... it's so time consuming and freakin annoying!! can't take it anymore!!

the only two options i have come up with are a) shaving him bald!! b) getting rid of him..both my hubs and son will not let me do... ugh!!

is there any product out there to control the shedding, or an easier way to get the hair off without lugging out the vacum allll the time??

thanks!!!

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pets

• I was a dog groomer for 10 years. Your dogs shedding is normal, every dog is different. What we used on short haired dogs was a rubber brush with rubber nubs in it, rub the dog down with it all over for 10-15 a few times a wek until it get under control. Also, vaccuming the dog wont hurt him, it wont get off as much hair as the brush will.
    You should be able to find a rubber brush at a pet store for less than $10. Just make sure you do the brushing outside because it will be messy.
    I saw alot of perfectally healthy dogs that shed tons of hair, alot of people would bring in their dogs every month so we could get out alot of the hair for them. Good luck
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• What kind of dog food are you feeding him? Dogs can be very allergic to corn and that could be causing skin irritations which in turn is causing him to shed. Look at the ingredients list - if corn is listed anywhere, try another brand that doesn't have it. Maybe that will help at least cut down on the shedding. Good Luck.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 6:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• There is an attachment that you can get for your vaccuum to actually groom your dog. We have 2 long haired dogs and had the same problem. This works amazing. I try to do it at least once a week to them
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• How old is the dog? Has the dog always had a shedding problem? Severe shedding can be a sign of many different things... .thyroid issues, dermatitis, etc. You might talk to your vet if it's excessive.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 4:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well we have had him for about a year.. we are not sure on his exact age, but we know he is at the most only 2 yrs. he just had a check up and everything seems fine... hubs took him tho so of course he didn't ask he important questions... its not really "severe" i think it seems like so much because of the black on white... its enough to get on my nerves tho... and yes, since we have had him he has always shed a lot.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 4:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• http://www.ehow.com/how_2161413_control-dog-shedding.html

hope this helps, my dog sheds too, but he has long hair so haircuts are always neccessary for him.

Also try taking him to a groomer and asking for a blow out. Not sure exactly what it is, but it blows the dead hair away.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Lol, would using a vacum hose on him be cruel? Obviously I would do it gentle... but to try and get some of the hair off? LOL
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 4:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• lol at ur reply .. vaccuum him
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Our boxer sheds a lot and vet says it doesn't mean anything is wrong. I have a glove that is made to brush excess hair off dogs and my dog loves for me to brush him with it. Its made like a glove with rubber type tips on the inside part. It works great but you want to be sure and use it outside. Then a bath every week helps keep the rest of it off.
    mamawmom

Answer by mamawmom at 10:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I vaccum my dog and she loves it. The food you feed can very well be the problem. Also some breeds shed more than others. I just picked up a Furminator!!!I love it!! Have seen a big difference. worth a try.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 12:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010