How long is too long each day for my 8 weeker to use her Soothie pacifier?

Mina16erin

Asked by Mina16erin at 4:07 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• any amount of time, period!! break her now before it's to late... trust me... it will be worth it... they have thumbs they can suck :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• um, the above answer is a little dramatic. She's a baby. Let her suck. you don't need to put restrictions on how many hours your infant sucks on a pacifier. :) Just let her enjoy it. Many babies will stop using them when they get bored of them. Mine just stopped sucking on it one day. It's really not a big deal.
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 4:20 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I only used the pacifier when my Dd cried, I'd put it in and if it didn't work, I'd change her and feed her. She stopped using it at about 6 months old... or rather.. it stopped working to get her to be quiet when she wasn't hungry, so I got rid of it. She probably had it in her mouth for 2-3 hours a day at that point. I don't see the point in having them suck on something when they're content not sucking.
    Although when she hit 12 months of age and I had trouble getting her to sleep at night... I really wished that she still took her paci lol.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 4:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ok thanks. The first post would be almost impossible advice at this point. We allowed the Soothie while she was in the NICU, because obviously we couldn't be there 24-7 to soothe her ourselves. Maybe we created a Soothie-addicted monster, but as long as it's not reshaping her mouth I'm fine.
    Mina16erin

Comment by Mina16erin (original poster) at 4:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Umm, okay well when she/he hits one year and older and starts screaming bloody murder for it, and won't stop, I won't say I told you so... yea some babies just forget about it, but not all.. I have seen PLENTY of moms going thru h*ll trying to get their young ones off paci's... the older they get the harder it is to beak them of it... I'm only giving advice from personal experiences,,,
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We were told by a pediatrician to try to get our baby to use a pacifier because it's supposed to help reduce the risk of sids and to have her use it as often as she wants it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Isn't it even harder to break a thumb sucker? I teach 6th grade and have 13 yr. olds who suck in class.
    Mina16erin

Comment by Mina16erin (original poster) at 4:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would assume it may be the same... I've seen grown folks who suck their thumb!! Equally bad in my book... I have worked in a daycare for younger children, and trust when I say it's horrible when a parent is trying to break a kid of the paci!! But again, not all kids are the same... my son gave it up just fine... I intially started him using it because i was breastfeeding and he wouldn't get off me!! He would cry and cry to suck..but then he started crying for the paci so i had to break it of him... took a couple days and he was fine..showed him his hand and that was it...he sucked on is hand for a while (never really just the thumb) and then just stopped...good luck in whatever you choose.

I have heard letting them suck too much can cause there front teeth to come in bucked, but I am not sure on how factual that is...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Ok, I can't believe the first answer.... anyways....

I wouldn't be worried about her using a pacifier at her age. My son had one, I threw them all away at 1yr old, no tears. Think of it this way, you can throw away a pacifier, but you can't throw away a thumb. I'd rather deal with some tears at age 1, then a thumb sucker at age 4. My cousin (age 4) is a thumb sucker, and my Aunt is now having to try and break her of the thumb.

Sucking on a pacifier greatly reduces the risk of sids, and your daughter isn't out of the SIDS window yet. Just that alone is a great reason to allow the paci for unlimited amounts of time. Problems with teeth don't start to develop until after age 2, the need to suck ends at age 1. As long as you take the paci away at age 1, you'll be fine.
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 5:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• DO NOT TRY TO BREAK HER OF IT YET!!! I understand the first posters concern, as I have seen some parents who let their children have free access to a pacifier have problems breaking them of it, but Pacifiers have been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS.
    I kept control of the paci. At about 3 months old, I only would give it to him at naps and sleep time. He did not have free access to it. And I would not wake up in the middle of the night to put it back in his mouth. If he woke up, and could not put himself back to sleep, I would go in and rub his back. then I would not give it to him for naps, but did at bedtime, and now we are beginning not to give it at bedtime. He has been fine.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2010