Anyone ever regret being induced?

When I was preggo, I went 9 days over my EDD. This was insane for me, because they changed my due date to LATER when they did the first ultra sound. My last period had been a month and a half from when they said I got pregnant. Whatever. So, I was expecting her to be early, and I was working up til I popped. Well, as the days went on and still no baby, I began to get extremely depressed and just figured I was going to be pregnant FOREVER! So, I wanted the baby out, and I asked to be induced. I had already been 4cm dilated for a week at this point!
Honestly we didn't take any classes except for BF'ing, so when it came to labor, I only had the advice of my mom who had 8 natural births, one time using IV meds. She told me that IV meds were wonderful, and since I was being induced (and she'd only ever had that drip for two min before and said it hurt a lot) to go ahead and get IV meds if it hurt too much.
CONTINUED...

Mom2unangel

Asked by Mom2unangel at 5:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had an induce labor for my oldest daughter because the doc said i had to.. i hated it.. it was the worst pain ever. prior to her i had two natural child births and they were not as painful as the induced one ..because of the pain i got an epidural that ruined my lower back muscles.. 3 years later i still suffer from it. i recently had another daughter natural child birth and it was much better .. nope i won't do inducing again if i can help it
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No, I don't regret my induction at all. It went very smoothly and I was extremely relaxed about the whole thing. I had an epidural and was awake during the entire thing, I remember it very clearly. For me, it wasn't much different than my previous 2 vaginal births, except that I knew when it was going to happen.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well, at one point the pain did get extremely intense and I took her advice and got IV meds. I regret this so much! I was sleeping in between contractions and it was lovely, but I was so out of it when the baby came out, that when they rushed her out of the room, I couldn't protest! I didn't see her for an hour after the birth. Also, when I was pushing her out, I wanted to lay on my side, because I had extreme pain when I laid on my back. But the doctor just flipped me back over! I couldn't protest because I was in so much and so out of it because of the drugs.

I'm thinking of doing a natural home birth next time, and I'm just wondering if anyone had good experiences with this?

The doctor told me that my baby was too big, and that next time I'd need to be induced or have a C-section at 38 weeks... This I disagree with after reading that laying on your back makes the opening smaller... Can I go against doctors orders?
    Mom2unangel

Comment by Mom2unangel (original poster) at 6:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The first one I'm a little disappointed about but the second one I was PISSED and still pissed about. I had fallen so I went in to the doctors My little girls heart beat was fine and everything seemed fine so I was expecting to go home until labor started. Well They wouldn't let me leave and told me that because I fell they would need to induce. Now the pain wasn't bad at all until the end but I was ticked. Now I don't want anyone to say it was my decision and I could have just left. I couldn't military doctors don't work the same as civilian doctors and if I ever have another baby I'm going to be going to a regular doctor.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 6:18 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was two weeks late and induced as well. Only I was told by my midwives that I had to because my placenta wasn't going to hold out much longer. We tried induction for THREE days before I finally had to get an epidural so that they could turn the pit up to 11 or whatever the highest notch is and leave it like that. I had it that high before that but the pain was so intense that I was too tense and nothing dilated! When they finally did the epi I dilated like lightening... but in the end STILL ended up with a csection. Part of me really believes that if I had kept on waiting I would not have ended up with a c-section... but my husband thinks I'm crazy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wasn't induced, but, I will say that the doc has no clue what size your next baby will be or whether or not you can give birth to it. And you are right, laying on your back is the worst position to give birth. Inductions and many interventions like pitocin, epidural and others do up your chance of c-section by a lot. Like I said, I wasn't induced, but, I was given Pitocin when I didn't need it, gave birth on my back and a few other things I didn't really need. I plan on having a home birth next time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can go against what the doctor says! It is ultimately your decision.

I was induced for my first 3 and wish that I had done it differently. With my fourth I waited it out at home until I was pretty sure I needed to be checked. LOL! I was 9 1/2 cm when I got in the hospital. I went naturally the 4th time and it was wonderful. Honestly it hurt, but not nearly as bad as being induced. I will never be induced again unless it becomes medically necessary (and a big baby isn't always a good reason).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:15 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was induced the first 2 times and regret it. And the epidural totally screwed up my back. My mucous plug came out the morning I was supposed to be induced. I think that if they hadn't induced me with my 2nd he would have been born on the 4th of July. But I guess the doctor had other plans. This time everything is gonna go my way. I'm gonna wait until I know the babys on his way. No need to rush, leave it in gods hands.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No I do not regret having done an induction. Yes you can go against doctors orders if you wish, but do not blame him if something goes wrong. He is not liable for your decision. They cannot force you into the OR for a c-section if you don't authorize it. They cannot force you to do induction if that is your choice. At this point he/she does not have a valid reason to do either. They do not "know" that baby is too big. That is their opinion. They also do not 'know" that you couldn't push a big baby out. They should let you try and if an emergency arises go from there. I always feel C-sections should be reserved for emergencies only.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I chose to be induced last time (and well, it was good i had because I ended up needing it w/ high BP). I thought it was easier and I would do it again in a heart beat. A lot less pain!!!! I didnt take the epidural till 8.5cm (yes my midwife allowed it that late) and thats only because we were having problems turning him off my leg (he was in the right position when we started and then for some reason he turned a little bit and it felt like he was coming out of my leg) and it hurt like hell.
    CorbinsMomma

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 10:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2010