1 yr old and hitting!

My dd just turned 1 on the 26th and she is already starting to hit. She hits her 2yr old sister. She thinks that it is funny. I tell her no and distract her but she always goes back to hitting. Its not a constant thing and she acts like she is playing while she does it, I just dont want her to think that its ok. How do I get her to stop?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its a hard one. my dd was like that and still is. she is 17months. i just tell her you don't hit and i say give kisses. anything to distract her. its a hard thing to stop. its an attention getter. anyways, i think you are doing the right thing. you can also put her in a pack and play with no toys for a minute because she is only a year. that is what the ped told me to do for timeout for her. i have yet to do it. i don't believe my dd has done anything yet to do time out. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Mine is the same way! She's just so much more "aggressive" and "head-first" than my 2 year old. The thing that works most for me is I taught her how to "be nice" by using gentle hands instead of hitting when we were at her grandpa's house bc she kept trying to hit the dog. Now when I look at her and tell her not to hit when she does it too her sister, she nods and says, "Niiiiiiiiiiice" and pets her sister's hair. LOL. Occasionally when she just won't stop, we will give her a small time-out by bringing her to another toy area to distract her. She's just so dang headstrong. Good luck, and if you find something that works better, let me know! lol
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My DS did that at thar age. I completely ignored him and loved and coddled the victim. Allot of their drive is attention getting. So if they are not getting any they will not do it. i used to drop him off at the gym daycare and upon my return he would turn and clobbler the closest kid to him or throw the closest toy on the ground. Meanwhile the enitre hour I was away he was perfect. We started connecting that he was trying for my attention and I would just ignore it. I also had the daycare workers repremanded him even though I was there. Sure enough a few days later he stopped.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010