Why this issue-this way?

I have heard that those that oppose Gay marriage say its because its a threat to marriages. However-stats say the biggest threat to marriages are poverty and abuse. Why not spend time and energy on those topics rather than fighting gay marriage? I don't think I buy the whole "we do both" argument because the amount of energy being put into fighting gay marriage has to lessen the amount of time spent on other more pressing (in my opinion) issues. So-why is this the hot issue-why not poverty, abuse or other threats to marriage?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 8:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you completely. They'll sit and work to deny homosexuals the right to marry, but you don't see any of them standing up against the divorce rates, or domestic violence, or infidelity, or priests sexually abusing children, or pastors getting caught with mistresses/prostitutes, etc, etc. There are so many issues that actually pertain to us Christians, yet they choose to waste their time fighting against something that isn't really any of our business? I think these other things, while also being things that actually include us, are more pressing, more of a threat to marriage, than working to deny the rights of others...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think people take marriage too lightly, and that's why so many dissolve.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• clappingBravo! I agree with you. It's a shame that they would rather complain about gays getting married then to really do something about Abuse considering the possibility of death from it.

DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have never used this as my reasoning for opposing gay marriage because it isn't my reason.

I agree with what you say about divorce and poverty. I think divorces are too easy to get and I think people shouldn't marry/have kids until they have found a way to really support themselves.

I have stood up against divorce, domestic violence, priests, pastors and such..these things go against my Christian faith just as much as homosexuality does.

..just thought ya'll should know all of us "bigots" and "homophobes" aren't on the same page... We do have valid reasons for our stance.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would vote that some people love controversy. I agree with your question and insight. Hugs. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:16 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• POVERTY breed more POVERTY, same with abuse, they are cyclical....They are what is TRUELY bringing DOWN entire CITIES...and both many times lead to DRUG ABUSE....

GREAT QUESTION!

The answer, POLITICIANS don't care what's REALLY affecting people. (most) They care about getting elected then re-elected. They are using the playbooks of the past which they KNOW will work...and many Americans are too caught up in the politics game to STOP them and SAY......THIS is the problem......STOP DISCUSSING ABORTION and GAY MARRIAGE and TALK ABOUT WHAT IS ACTUALLY AFFLICTING OUR COMMUNITIES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:12 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It isn't the "evil" media, its the "evil" politicians, thats what they stump on...and they deomonize the POOR, the GAYS & anyone who isn't the majority ...its a numbers game to them....and it breeds contempt and hate for their flock

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:35 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• GREAT question!!!! It is so good to see a normal,reasonable and valuable discussion here. THANK YOU!
    I agree .....so many more important issues to worry about.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't think anyone here used the words bigot or homophobe... :(
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

Answer by bandgeek521 2 minutes
    ******************
    I agree. Nobody did.
    but SHe did. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010