Induction?pain?

I have a csection scheduled for next Tuesday and im beginning to think that i want to be induced instead. How do the doctors induce u and does it hurt?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 8:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How they start the induction really depends on your current state. If your cervix is not opening or softening on it's own, you'll probably need more than just pitocin to ripen the cervix.

Yes, there are needles involved to get an IV started for pitocin, but I guarantee you're going to have an IV for a c-sec anyway.

Pitocin is NOT "EXTREMELY painful" for everyone. I had NO problems with it for about the first 8 hours, then it was just uncomfortable (and I could see on the monitor that the contractions were getting up in the 80%-90% range). I don't have any details to compare how my doc delivered it vs. the doc's of those that claim it's unnaturally painful.

If the doctor is still giving the option of induction before going for the c-sec, please don't let the fear mongers scare you out of thinking about it as an option. Sure it's not for everyone, but nothing ever is.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They usually just give you pitocin in an IV. No extra needles, other than the IV, I believe you have to have an IV for a Csection too don't you, so there's no real difference there. Good luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes, being induced hurts just like labor. I was induced with my 3rd and it wasn't any worse than my first two vaginal births, but I did have an epidural (as I did with my first two). They put pitocin in an IV, no cervical softening for me. I had a csection with my 4th and 5th. The recovery is longer, but it was the best choice for me.

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was induced with both my boys, and although I don't have natural labor to compare it to, I didn't think it was that bad, after my water was broken I labored for about 5hrs, and then my babies were born. I did go with the epidural, but with my 1st, it didn't work, it took the edge off, but by the time he was born I felt absolutely everything, and it was pretty much the same with my 2nd too, but he was a lot quicker in coming. If you want to do it, and it's safe for you, then go ahead. The recovery is a lot better.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• so the induction is given with a needle?
    newmommyjazz

Comment by newmommyjazz (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I experienced two times that I was induced. I guess I would suggest waiting. The labors are forced through inducing. If you aren't ready yet, just wait for the c-section. I know you are anxious for the birth but truely leave it to nature unless you have problems. :-) It will be here soon enough.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Induction is EXTREMELY painful, because it is not natural....but neither is a C-section. I've had both, and I must say that the C-Section was the better way to go for me. I am in pretty good shape, so I didn't have many problems recovering. Of all my deliveries (3) the induction I remember with the LEAST amount of fondness! Good luck with your decision!
    AZR

Answer by AZR at 8:58 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Induction with 3 out 4 of mine...one c-section...Induction starts with the softening of the cervix...usually cervadil..when it is ripe and open there starts the pitocin and the pain is immense. You are strapped to a bed with no food drink and at some point they put fetal monitors on the babies head so getting up to go the bathroom is even out of the question. The contractions are so intense...and so regular...depends on whether you will have susequent births as to do a section...V-BAC (vaginal birth after c section) not something most doctors want to do. Also the choice is...would you rather hard labor pains...or dull revocery pain. Ultimately what is best for the baby should be the deciding factor.
    4princes4me

Answer by 4princes4me at 8:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was induced with my first and went into labor on my own with my second. The contractions were much, much stronger and more painful with the induction.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I've only experienced labor through induction, so I don't have natural labor pains to compare it to. Yes, it hurt bad before I got the epidural, but with the epidural it was bearable.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 9:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010