Anyone have good discipline tips for an unruly 3 year old boy....time out does not faze him. I've resorted to putting him in his room....alone....seems cold but nothing else works!

AZR

Asked by AZR at 8:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd get him tested fro ADHD soon. Sounds like he has the symptoms and there's treatments for it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:56 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Having three boys (two teenagers), I had to discipline them all differently. One worked with time-out, one worked with talking to one-on-one and my youngest requires that we have meetings at the family table for big issues and taking toys/games away for small issues. You can take their favorite bear/truck etc. away and put it in a "safe place" where he can see it but can't get it and remind him throughout the day that that toy is there because of his actions.
    3livin4angels

Answer by 3livin4angels at 9:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm going to try the table talk. I don't think he is ADHD ..... but it gave me some food for thought. Note....he only acts up when his sisters are around. He is beautifully behaved when he has no one to fight with! :)
    AZR

Comment by AZR (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We spank at my house. And I don't mean last-resort-because-Mommy's-angry-spanking. When spanking is done correctly, the parent should not be so emotional. The point is to correct the behavior before it escalates to out of control. I read "To Train Up a Child," and though it had a couple radical viewpoints, its methods have been very useful for discipline.

I'll never forget one story in it. A mother went from being a "Johnny, don't do that now. Now I said stop it. Johnny! Stop it now! Johnny, what did I say? I mean it this time!" kind of mom to an "I'm going to say it once, and then you have to have a pop" kind of mom, and his son said his mom is actually NICER because she doesn't nag him all day. She just says things once now and there is no frustrated/bad energy aimed at him.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with 3liviin4angels. You may give him a couple of warnings and let him know that his behavior is unacceptable and that if it continues then there will be consequences such as losing a favorite show that he might be allowed to watch, taking away a favorite toy or some other type of privilige. Then explain to him that even though he lost it he can still earn it back for good behavior. Maybe try a reward chart with him as well. Each time he has good behavior for the day maybe he could put a sticker or something up and after going so many days with good behavior you may take him somewhere that he has wanted to go or buy him a small reward. Each child is different and what works for one may not work for another. Best of luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am curious on the answers here to. My almost 4 year old has grown mean and defiant over the last week. He punched his babysitter last night. What if taking toys away, putting him in his room does not work? Mine just gets madder and meaner.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Maybe he's just trying to get your attention because he doesn't want to share you with his sisters? My DS doesn't have any siblings, and I use a time out in his room. That, or standing in the corner, is the only thing that works for him. He could care less if we took toys away, he just doesn't want to be away from us and miss out on any of the fun/action.

Read 1,2,3 Majic. Sending them to their room is the discipline technique recommended, but for very specific behaviors. I definitely vote for this book, it helped me so much. Another CM recommended it to me, and it works! Good luck! You are a good mama for being worried about this, and you WON'T have a bratty baby. ;-)

JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• well, here, if time outs don't work, we spank. normally now all i have to do is ask if they want to go to time out. if that doesn't work,i count to 3. normally i don't have to get past 2. if that doesn't work (with my 3yr old it does majority of the time, but my 2yr old is still trying to figure out the buttons lol) then it's time out. and if my 2yr old decides time outs don't matter, a pop on the butt normally works just wonderfully.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm trying to figure out something for my 3 year old son too. He used to have normal behavioral issues but now its out of hand. I think it may be because the 3 weeks he spent in florida with the IL's they let him do whatever. Anything he said and did was cute, and he's still trying to get away with it up here.but now if he gets mad he spits or urinates on himself and the floor so that we have to clean him up. It drives me crazy and I don't know what to do anymore.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't think putting a child that's not listening in his room is wrong, esp. if thats what works. Be sure to always give a punishment you can follow thru with so he will know you are not just threatening him, but will follow thru. My Gr-son is the same way good alone, but fights w/ his sisters, tested for ADHD but is not. He does have OCD, and does seem hyper, so they try to keep him very busy. They have him outside a lot, and as he is getting older in a lot of sports. He's a tough little guy and he does spend lots of time in his room, has things taken away, things that are special to him, shows, toys games, etc. He has to learn to get along w/everyone, but it may be a long stuggle you just may have to deal with just as my DD is. You need patience and to be calm, but as I see with my DD it is VERYdifficult, I have seen her many times close to tears. Good Luck .
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 30, 2010