Anyone Had an Ablation? adult content

I'm going this afternoon for the pre-procedure, then the ablation is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I was just wondering what to expect? The nurse and my doctor said it would be like period cramping tomorrow, then I should be fine (and hopefully no more periods!) Just wondering if any of you have had it done and what your experience was.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:19 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• I've known a couple of people who had Novasure done, and I looked into Novasure a year before I had HTA. You should expect the procedure to be pretty similar. You may have light periods or a little spotting in the future, because the mesh only burns ALL the tissue if you have a perfectly triangular uterus. Overall, you should expect a good result. I had to giggle a little at the "crime scene periods" because that's a perfect way to describe it. Believe me, you won't realize just how badly it has impacted your life until you aren't dealing with it anymore. It's amazing how we get used to something and deal with it like it's normal. When my periods were gone, I realized just how much I had been bending my life around dealing with them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Never have done it, hope I never have to. I'd imagine the cramping/pain/recovery varies depending on how far along you are.

Good luck to you.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Wow... clearly I did NOT get enough sleep last night. I read "Ablation" as "Abortion". .... most of my comment is still valid though, but feel free to ignore the 2nd sentence.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 9:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• LOL, coder chick. :) I was confused until I read your second post.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I had an ablation done in October. Which procedure are you having? I had HTA, and it was a million times easier than I expected. I got checked in, had yet another urine pregnancy test, even though I'd just had another one two days earlier. I went back where I put on a gown and they started an IV. My doctor and the anesthesiologist came in to speak to me, and the anesthesiologist gave me a couple of pills, including something for heartburn, which he said would make sure I wouldn't wake up queasy. I remember them starting to roll my bed down the hall and him hitting my IV line with something, and I don't remember anything after that. I woke up in recovery, where there was someone sitting next to my bed who saw my eyes open and gave me a shot of something in my hip. I don't know how long I was under, but I would guess about half an hour or 40 minutes for the D&C, biopsy, hysteroscopy, and ablation. Continued...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I woke up feeling really good, not queasy and not even sleepy. I sat in recovery maybe 15 minutes before they took me back to anther room where I got dressed and I went home. I felt great until whatever the guy gave me in that shot wore off, and then I had horrible cramping. The pharmacy took forever to fill my pain pill prescription, so by the time I got them I had been feeling a lot of pain for about half an hour. Once the pain pills kicked in, I felt great. I went to bed that night and woke up feeling fantastic the next morning. I took a couple of pain pills that day, although I don't think I even needed them. Continued...
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didn't have any pain or cramping. I had some very light watery discharge for the next week or so. For the first four or five months, I had just a bit of spotting when I should have had my period. Not even enough to worry about. Just enough to make a spot on a panty liner. For the last five or six months, that's stopped completely. I don't even know when my period should be. Every now and again, maybe three or four times in the last six months, there will be a bit of light pink when I wipe after I pee. It's not even enough to spot on a panty liner. I am absolutely thrilled with the results. I hope your experience is as good as mine was. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Wow! I'm glad it worked out for you JulieJacobKyle!

He's doing the "Novasure" procedure on me, in his office. I go in this afternoon to have a Laminaria done, they insert something to make my cervix soften. Tomorrow morning is the procedure itself, i have two prescriptions to fill (Toredol and Percocet - they will inject the Toredol before the procedure.) He likes to do it in his office so his patients don't have to be put out (unless he has to do more than just the ablation, like what you had done).

Thank you so much, I'm really hoping I'm a success story like you afterward, I've had two years of awful "crime scene" periods.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I had cryo ablation done due to a non-ending period. They told me I
    would be crampy like a bad period and that is exactly what it was. I wanted to wrap myself up in a tiny ball for several days afterwards. I hope this procedure works better for you than it did for me. I had a very light period for a few months and then started having my period for 3 out of 4 weeks every month. I was then scheduled for the hysterectomy. I wish that they had done that the first time but we were worried about taking extra time off of work.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear that Nindy, what an awful experience.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010