How can I stop breastfeeding my baby at nights?

He is 4 1/2 months old and he doesn't want to sleep in his room nor his bassinet that is in our room (my husband allowed him to sleep with us and now he won't go back to his bassinet) I don't want to breastfeed at nights anymore please help!

becky_3rc

Asked by becky_3rc at 9:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have got to be kidding me!!! You keep feeding that baby until he sleeps through the night! It doesn't matter what YOU want to do, it is about the baby!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:26 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well, honestly speaking, he might need to breastfeed at night until well after 9 months old. 30% of children are still needing the night feedings. As for the sleeping. I would set up a crib and start a bedtime routine at about 6:30pm. Give him a bath, a massage, sing a song, read a book, whatever. Do that for about 30 and lay him in his crib at that point. It might help to swaddle him and/or give a paci, whichever he's used to. Also, it might help to put something in his crib that has your scent on it.

Give him a bit to get settled and see if he'll fall asleep on his own. Maybe play some soothing music.

Good luck!
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 9:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The doctor told me he has gained tons of weight already and does not need the feeding during the night ( he wakes me up like 2 or 3 times)
    becky_3rc

Comment by becky_3rc (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is nine months old and EBF. He is still waking 1-3 times at night to nurse.. and yes Im tired, but he is only a baby once.. If he wakes and is hungry he eats.. I know it is hard, But your little one is only 4.5 mos old, Be patient.
    MrsRudd

Answer by MrsRudd at 9:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• As for sleeping I'm going to try what you said Momunangel, thank you so much.
    becky_3rc

Comment by becky_3rc (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Uhm...you can't. Babies need fed regardless of when adults feel they need to sleep. Welcome to motherhood.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i found that when i slept with my baby, my sleep was hardly disrupted by feeding through the night. i had two babies that fed every 1 1/2 hours through the night.
    the baby can eat while you sleep, you just have to roll over a few times to change breasts.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't understand why the doctor would tell me to stop nursing during the night (she has 3 kids herself) but all you guys say is true and makes sence.
    becky_3rc

Comment by becky_3rc (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I stopped @ 4 months. But my baby would go back to sleep eaisly w/o a feeding. Thats when i knew I could stop. If he is really crying, and doesn't go back down ok, then by all means feed him!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 10:17 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Do you wake or does he wake you. I say let a sleeping child lie. So if he isn't waking you then he is fine, let it be. If he is waking you then he is hunger. He is only 4 months he may still need the food. You can try adding a feeding or two during the day if he agrees. That might help him to last longer. I would add one mid afternoon and see if he will take an extra one in the hour before his bed time one. As far as the bassinet, give it time. My oldest took a little bit of time to adjust, I keep calming her and then putting her back in after a few nights she took the hint, this was right after feeding her mind you. My youngest loooved the viberator so I would just trun that one when she woke. Also swaddelling him nice and comfy might help or the shirt you are wearing that day put in the bed under him might help him to be comfortable alone in bed. He can smell better then he can see.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010