10month old, taking diaper off constantly

My daughter is doing this like mad. She just wont leave it on. I know that its suppose to be a sign of wanting to use the potty...but she seems a lil young yet. I heard not to start to young.....So, I am lost. Its to the point of nasty. The other morning she woke up, but was very quiet, we didnt know she was up yet. She took her diaper off and made a huge mess..She pooped all over..and yes she even...Yuck..put it in her mouth..how sick....I am considering duct taping her diaper..Because literally..she wont leave it on for more than 5min at a time. Any advise? Gosh..all I can think about is the eatting part

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry! I am laughing. I went through that with BOTH of my kids. The first kid, it grossed me out. The second, I was a pro. Not to do with potty training. It is because they have discovered that not only can they take off diaper, but that there is stuff in in. Gross, but normal. I have hosed down more poopy stuff than you would like to know. And I learned to just put them in clothes that they either can't get off or put diaper safety pins on the zipper of pj's to keep them on. Good luck with this stage of childhood. You have my sympathy.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My kids are the same way... So I started putting them in overalls and onsies all the time... If it's to hard or just to much work to take off I don't know but it keeps the poopy in the diaper!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• lol my neice did that ALL the time!! (i babysat her till she was one) yes the exact same thing...the only thing i could do was put jeans on her that she couldn't get off!! but that doesn't work so well for bedtime! so maybe the duct tape will work well :)
    Anonymous

• My dd did this forever.....It was wintertime so I put her in zip up footy pajamas and pinned them at the top.....If you can believe this or not....she figured out a way to shimmy outta that with them still pinned.....we call her Houdini...... ;) So then my mother made her a sleep suit that zipped up the back and was stiff cotton that would not give, it worked until she was outta that stage....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Oh I wish I would have thought about the safety pin thing on the footy pjs. Both of my daughters could get out of there diapers, and I have also hosed down MANY poopy items in the house LOL! I tried the duct tape, clothes on backwards, diaper on backwards, etc. NOTHING worked....I was to the point of frustration. Once I put them in pull-ups they were fine! I can't say we never had another poopy incident, but it's been maybe two since they've been in pull-ups. Once has been potty trained (she went into pull-ups before her 1st bday), and the other is still in pull-ups, but she's stubborn! She is in the stage now where she likes to wipe off her own booty...now if I can just get her to use the potty chair LOL!
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 11:30 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Duct tape. Stop considering it and do it. Also try putting only one piece outfits on her like onsies that snap in the crotch.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Wow, if that's not a trip down memory lane, i duno what is lol. All our kids went thru that phase so we started potty training 7 believe it or not, it went suprisingly well. Our daughters were totally potty trained by the x they were 2-2 1/2. Now our son, well that's a whole other story lol. He had it by the x he was 2 1/2, (but did it only when HE wanted 2) so it wasn't until he was a little over 3 that he did it all the x lol!!! They say boys learn slower & it was certainly true w/ my son lol lol. O 7 as far as having accidents afterwards, ya we had them 2!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• but it on back wards. All three of mine have not only taken theirs off but played in it as well. it is a sure tell sigh that you should introduce the potty to them, that and onsie or clothe diaper covers over them it may not stop them. It stoped mine becaue they got to frustrated trying to get the cover off that they gave up. My 19 month old ended up with a diaper on, onsie, diaper cover and overalls on one day. that is how determind she was. Needless to say she is working on the hole potty training now.
    kraZyLilJumpers

Answer by kraZyLilJumpers at 1:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Go ahead use the duct tape, I had to do that with one of mine. Also put onsies on them, makes it harder to get to, and even if they manage to get the onsies unsnapped then there's the duct tape, that'll keep her busy for awhile! LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• LOL...This is baby 4 for me...but none of the others did this..So I was wow'd by it...thanks for all the info
    motheronthego4

Answer by motheronthego4 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008