Kids and cereal

How old was your child when you started giving him cereal and milk in a bowl to be eaten with a spoon? My son is two and I still just give him dry cereal on a plate... I'm nervous he'll make too much of a mess if he tries to eat it the other way!

arouthier

Asked by arouthier at 9:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2.5 year old eats her eral with a spoon and milk. I would give him a bowl and spoon and when he gets decent at that add the milk.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:14 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• At 2, all 4 of mine had cereal and milk in a bowl with a spoon. (not much milk, only a little) Sure, there was a mess sometimes - but they had to learn how to eat correctly and sometimes learning is messy!
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 9:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My DD's were about 2. They have to learn sometime the trick is little bit of cereal and a little bit of milk
    amandaeastman

Answer by amandaeastman at 9:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The only way he will learn is to give it to him. We also have the bowl with the built in straw (walmart).

She has been eating this way since 18 or 19 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's gonna be messy no matter what. My daughter will be two next month and she has been eating cereal in milk since she had enough teeth to chew it up. mostly because that's what her sister eats every morning.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• umm, probably around 12 months...we sat her in the high chair and let her go to town...she was trying to figure out a spoon before that...so we figured why not. you're going to have a mess to clean up regardless for now...
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• By age 2, all three of my girls ate with silverware, including cereal and milk. How do you expect him to learn if he's not being taught?
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:04 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm the same way....dd is 3, but she's been doing it for a while now. my twin boys are 19 months and still haven't mastered the utensils...especially the spoon! Half of it ends up being ALL OVER THEM!...
    I think just let them try, show them how to do it with their hand....and lots of practice will help! xo
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is 14 and still doesn't eat milk on his cereal. LOL He started out with dry cereal and a cup of milk and never cared for the cereal on his milk. Although, I tried it pretty early on, he just didn't care for it, so I never had to worry about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think I started it at the same age that they were learning to spoon feed. Learning to spoon feed themselves is just a messy process and you just have to find a system to deal with the mess that you can handle and let them go for it. It's a messy stage but a short one.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010