Would you have kept your child from school?

I decided to keep my kindergartner from going to school today. But I don't know if I should have just let him go. He is not sick. Although he is suffering from HORRIBLE allergies. The reason I kept him home- He woke up around 12 last night because of his allergy problem. He could not breath through his nose , that was bugging him, and he kept coughing. This went on for hours, and I could not get him to go back to sleep until 3:30 this morning. I woke him up for school at 6:30, and he was not having it. He would not eat his breakfast because he was so tired. He is cranky and will not do what I ask of him. The simplest of task results in a break down and a fit. So I know, if I send him to school like this, it would be a VERY unproductive day for him. I had a feeling he was not going to listen to the teacher, and he will disrupt his class. Would you have done the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes, even though he isn't contagious, he is still feeling sick. Allergies can be a real pain sometimes.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It may not have been a fever, but clearly he was not feeling well. I would have kept him home too.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I probably would have done the same, except I would have decided earlier and let him sleep since he had such a rough night.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:10 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Probably. I cont stand to see my kids suffer
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 10:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Does he take medications for his allergies? Do they help? I'd hesitate to keep a child home due to an ongoing problem like allergies, since we're bound to experience this time and time again.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would have kept him home, in fact, I wouldn't even have woken him up at 6:30 to try. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• While I can completely understand your reasoning behind it, I don't know if I would have sent him or not. While I realize it would have been an unproductive day, it would also teach my son that all he has to do is be uncooperative to get out of school. KWIM?

I think perhaps I'd put him back to bed for another hour or so and take him in at lunch. That way he gets the sleep he needs, but doesn't miss school needlessly.
    carsonsmommy

Answer by carsonsmommy at 10:13 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He is sick, he just can't spread it so yup and I would call the doctor to get him something. This just can't go on consistantly.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:21 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He is on allergy meds. I think he would have been fine to go to school, if he had slept through the night. He was giving me such a hard time. And the teacher is already experiencing problems with getting him to do his work at school. Its almost like she does not know how to handle him just yet. Not that I blame her, she is doing her best. But my DS is extremely hard headed. So I know she would not be able to handle him when he is not feeling well and is tired. I would feel horrible,lol. I guess I would see how he feels in a few hrs, when he wakes up. Maybe if he is feeling better, and is rested I can take him in at lunch?
    jaysmommy04

Answer by jaysmommy04 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 30, 2010