Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I allow my son to interact with his drug addicted grandmother? She is his grandma afterall... =( adult content

My mother passed away 6 years ago and my son was born with only one living grandmother. She is a severe bipolar on medication and is on several pain medications (of which only SOME are prescribed to her). She has been in multiple car accidents over the years so I will NOT let her drive my child anywhere and strictly limit his time alone with her. She has been caught shop-lifting and stealing from her friends. She has stolen my medication from my house and sold it to her neighbor.This is causing stress between my boyfriend and I because he wants his mother to be involved with caring for my son but I don't feel that she should be alone with him for any amount of time (I am currently only suggesting that he be in her care when his father can be there also to ensure his safety). I want my son to have a grandmother and I cannot give him one...but I don't think that she is stable enough to care for herself, let alone, my child


Asked by 3livin4angels at 10:27 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 5 (76 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Yes, under your supervision. Addiction is an illness. She is his grandmother. You can be there and supervise their time together, while visiting. Even if it's only once a month for an hour, this relationship would be good for both of them under the right supervision.

    Answer by justnancyb at 10:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • NO NO NO!! your job is to protect your kids.

    ON drugs that is not a grandparent!!!!!!

    Answer by gammie at 10:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Hell no, I wouldn't let her having any alone time with my child. That would be child neglect on your part

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • No.... not without supervision. Grandma or not she has problems in her life that can threaten your child's life. Your child's safety should be MORE of a concern to your boyfriend. I know he loves his mother, but he needs to love his child too. Is he prepared for the consequences should something happen while under her "care"?? You need to stand firm. The child's safety comes first.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • fighting over this ?? sorry but what is his problem? his child should come first over anyone of thing!!

    His should want to protect the child. That is what I would tell him.

    Answer by gammie at 10:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I dont leave my son with my mother because she was addicted when I was a kid and I doubt she has changed, the same with my MIL. our son barely knows his grandparents because of it

    Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:28 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Absolutely not!! I have a neighbor that is like that & I witness first hand how she is with her grandchild.. its awful.

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:29 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Under those circumstances, I would not feel comfortable with my child being in her care either. You are not preventing her from having a relationship with your child, just putting boundaries in place to make sure your child is safe in the relationship with her. And that sounds like the right thing to do.

    Answer by riotgrrl at 10:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • Any tips on how to tell my boyfriend I don't want my son to see her addiction? We have been fighting over this for 4 years now. =(

    Comment by 3livin4angels (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

  • I would just say it.. Tell him you care too much about your child to have him see a drug addicted person.

    Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010