Ritalin and my 2 1/2 year old.

My dd is 2 1/2 years old and was prescribed ritalin. Her ped has dianosed her with add. she has speech and occupational therapy during the week. And her therapists have a hard time keeping her from jumpping around to different activites. Shes also takes Keppra for seizures. I told a friend of mine about Sarah (my dd) getting put on ritalin for add, and she literally chewed me out, saying that ritalin wasnt safe for my dd to take and it causes bad side effects, such as seizures. And said she didnt need the medication whats so over! What do you think? She made me feel like a bad mother, and such.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i wouldnt give it myself. growing up i seen alot of other kids on ritalin and as they got older most were dianosed with bipolar. at that young of an age i feel that it really messes with the brains chemicals and it is irreversable esp at that age. i would refuse to give it and its the therapist job to find a way to to keeping her attention.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• There are many negative side effects to Ritalin, including an increased risk for drug/alcohol addiction later in life. These drugs alter brain chemistry - and a child's brain is not yet fully developed.

By definition a CHILD is ADD. Children move quickly from one thing to another. They have attention deficit,

This can largely be handled through good parenting and time, learning, growth. Sure, some children are more difficult than others. They just need more time to learn, and more good consistent teaching and boundary setting.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "I told a friend of mine, and she literally chewed me out"
    she is a MD?

when people put their two cents in about such maaters
    I bring up that your child doctor has seen your child done the tests weighed the options
    none of her business
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:38 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm personally surprise that she got diagnosed and put on Ritalin at such and EARLY age! There are huge risk with his drug including sudden death and slowing down a child's grow and weight gain. Not only that but it can be come habit forming (addiction) and the person on the drug may feels they may not be able to "life" without it.

This is serious for any child, especially a 2 year old! Honestly, if it was me, I would have sought out a second opinion before putting my child on such a highly addicted forming drug such as Ritalin.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No way I would give a 2 1/2 year old Ritalin. Any pedi that would prescribe that to a child that young should have his/her license revoked. 2 1/2 year olds are active and they should be. They should have the attention span of a flea. That is how they learn from jumping from one thing to another. I however would not have chewed you out, you're just the mom, I would have suggested you switch doctor's cause the one you have shouldn't be practicing medicine.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• But, the only plus thing it has been working with my dd, Shes not so aggressive towards my ds who is 17 months and towards everyone else that she comes in contact with. No the therapists do a good job with her, but still she cant stand still for more then 5 sec. Shes constantly on the the go, from one thing or another, plus her sleeps habits before the ritalin were bad, going without sleep for almost 5 days straight. No naps either. And now day 3 on the ritalin shes has a big improvement, she sleeps at night, no naps still but she might have out grown it. And she doesnt fight with me or her father on anything.
    jessduncan77

Comment by jessduncan77 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Hell no, i would not give that crap tp my 2 year old. I would get a second, even third opinion on the ADD. 2 years old is a bit young to label that on a child considering they are changing & growing every day. Funny about the Bi-polar thing...my friend Raffi was on ritalin his whole life & when he turned 18, they diagnosed him as bi-polar. Never thought of the connection.

To answer your question, there is NO WAY i would ever give my child that crap. Kids with ADD just need more patience & attention. I believe ritalin is for patents & teachers who do not have the time to give their child that extra attention & patience they need. I have ADD, but my mom never gave me that crap. She just put me in a private school where they were able to work with me more. Love her for making that choice for me!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• also, shes on the lowest dose possible.
    jessduncan77

Comment by jessduncan77 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Also on the paper work that comes w/the drug (see PDF from FDA site) it states that RITALIN® should not be used in children less than 6 years old because it has not been studied in this age group. I would seek a second doctor immediately!

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm not fond of Ritalin myself, but you do what you gotta do. Though I would ask the doctor for something else to try, simply because Ritalin does have alot of negative publicity around it. That's me. I don't want to make you feel bad. She should mind her own business though and should have kept her mouth shut if she couldn't reply nicely.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010