do you read to your baby?

I love to read! I love to read to kids! My first 2loved to be read to, you could see it in their faces that they loved to see the pictures & hear my voice as I read (even if the couldn't yet understand the story). My dd is 3 months old & I try to read to her, but she just doesn't seem interested, she doesn't like to sit there & listen. I know she's young, but I wonder if I should continue to bother with it.
Do/did you read to your kids this young? Didthey like it?

shareleann

Asked by shareleann at 10:33 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 15 month old baby girl and she LOVES to read!! She loves reading to me and she will sit there for 30 minutes and listen to me read. After she waks up from naps, she grabs a book off her bookshelf (its right next to the crib) and will sit in there and read for a while... I go in to check on her, and she is sitting there reading her books! And she wont let me pick her up until she is done...

Here is a video of her reading to her dad, if you want to see it. Its really funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hMYlYL42I

Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I tried, my son HATED IT!!!!! LOL He ended up being the best reader in his grade since 1st grade and still at 14, the teacher told him she was going to get him in Advanced English because his reading and vocab are WAY above his peers in his class. Thank goodness his hatred of me reading to him wasn't bad for him. He reads anything you put in front of him now. He always asks to go to the book store and wants books.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband read the Hobbit to our son while I was pregnant! He is now 3wks old and we both read to him everyday!!!! (by the way my husband is an English teacher and I work in child care so it's kinda in our nature to read) :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I always read to my daughter since she was itty bitty. At times she was distracted or brought her attention someplace else, but I knew she was listening. Even if you are not reading a book or whatever you can actually read, just talking to them has the same effect. My DD is three and a half and she is a great talker and is very social with just about anyone.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I started reading to my kids when they were like 2 months old. We started a bedtime routine then (they were sleeping through the night) and it was part of the routine.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is 4 months old and i read to him a couple times a week right before bed. I ve been doing it for about a month now and sometimes he does not seem interested AT ALL, but other times he likes the colors and shapes and smiles and coo's. KEEP DOING IT!! Even though they do not always respond its great for their little minds! :)
    princess02006

Answer by princess02006 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I started reading to my son right away. He's 6 month old now and Most of the time he loves it. He likes to look at and touch the pictures. He giggles when I do different voices and bounce him at certain parts. A friend of mine has a baby two days younger who has no interest in books at all. I think it depends on the kid and how interesting you make reading to them.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Not when they were that young no. Now they are two and if I have to read A Perfect Day for a Picnic one more time I'm gonna set the damn thing on fire...
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:28 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yep i started reading to my daughter when she was 4mnhs old
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 3:47 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Keep doing it. She will learn to know that reading is just a part of your everyday routine. Even if she doesn't seem interested she is listening to your voice, sounds the words. All of that is helping her brain develop. Keep it up mamma!
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 5:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010