what to do when taking away a passy?

she is so attached to it , it sooths her when shes sad hurt or trying to sleep. this is the first day and its crying all day for it saying passy come back! its so hard for me to see my dd so sad . did you give your child something to replace it? if so what? please help! thanks!

s_toman7

Asked by s_toman7 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't give my son something to replace it, instead I let him help me get rid of them. We actually put them all in a little bag, then he and I threw them over a bridge! Then I told him, I knew he would miss them, but that we were going to trade his foo-foo's for hugs. Every time he missed them, to let me know and I would hold him until he felt better.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I heard if you just take it away cold turkey that your going to have a rough 2 or 3 days until she realizes that she doesn't need it anymore. My son had his until he was 2 and to get him to stop the habit I threw all his other binkies away and when the one he was using broke ( he sucked on it so hard that the nipple ripped and then eventually came all the way off) we told him that it was broken and that meant it was time to be a big boy. We also took my second son's away to so Logan couldn't steal them. I've also heard of people cutting the nipples off so when they go to use it they can't suck on it and eventually loose interest in it.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I took my son's away at 2 cold turkey. It was rough.

Now, if I had it to do over again, I would not take it away. MOST kids give it up by age 5 all on there own. So, IMO, 5 is not that long in the span of a lifetime. It is soothing and I prefer not to take that away from my kid.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:42 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• mine is in LOVE with his, im so un sure on what to do, we havee a two month old and he some times uses his but not all the time. and i cant take away my oldest Binky and let the baby have one.. thats unfair. so.. i think im just gunna let him have it and when hes two limit it to nap and bed time.
    xotatiannaxo

Answer by xotatiannaxo at 11:23 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My friends son was super attatched. She clipped the nipple one day with fingernail clippers. Just slipped a little piece off. Like 2 days later she did the same thing. 2 days later she did the same thing. One day he just didnt like it anymore, it just wasnt the same. You can also clip the nipple off and set it somewhere to find and when she finds it tell her its broken (if shes old enough to understand the concept). Theres also the binky fairy. Binky fairy comes and gets them on a certain age mom chooses when baby is sleeping and leaves a treat behind and takes the binkies and gives them to all the little newborn babies in the world that need them. :) Or you could just take it away cold turkey like i did..lol
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:25 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My two year old uses one at nap and bed time. I have been trying to break her of it at the same time I broke my 1 yo from the bottle at night. Well, my 1yo is officially broke from the bottle. :D Yay! But my 2.5yo is proving a lot harder to break from her lovie. How we broke her during the day, though was at about 1.5 years. I would take it and hide it during the day (out of sight, out of mind), and when she would start to ask about it, I would distract her with something like a new activity, or a book. This seemed to work the best.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:27 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I took it away at 9 months. What I did was cut a tiny hole at the top. and make sure it's a clean cut. Give it to 'em and they want it and still try to use it but they can't suck it so they get mad and let it go. It worked an all three of mine.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• So funny about clipping the tips..I tried that ith my 2 year old and he told me that I needed to go buy him a new one. The nagative of having an overly verbal child. Anyway we finally decided to take it away when he was about 28 months. We were sooo worried it was going to be a nightmare seeing as he had to sleep with at least 2 (one for each hand..lol). I have a good friend whom had 7 month old so the enire week before we talked baout how we were going to give the binkies to Baby maggie. That he was now a big boy and she was still a baby and needed them. So we took a small paper lunch bag and decorated it and together we scoured the house for binkies and put them in the bag. Then we drove over to baby Maggie's house and gave them to her. He did AWESOME!! I think he aske for them twice and actually reminded himself that he was a big boy and baby maggie needed them..ha! We also bought him a Big Boy bed as a reward
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• About 18 mnths we started to have binky rules. He could only have it when he was sitting on the couch or sleeping. When he would get down he would have to make a choice between getting down and playing or having his binky. More often than not he chose to get down and play. When my son was 21 months old he put the whole binky in his mouth. I sat him down and explained to him that he was a big boy now. We made a game out of searching the house for all of the binkys we put them in a bag. I explained to him that little babies needed these binkys and asked him if they could have the binkys. He said yes. We then took the bag to the mail box and we "sent" the binkys to little babies. AND THEN it was nap time, and he broke down, "binky, binky, binky" and cried himself to sleep. When he woke up I kept him busy playing and coloring and anything else I could to distract him. When he asked for it back we distracted him with playing.
    Andrea M.

Answer by Andrea M. at 6:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010