question for those who have put their child in daycare at a young age

My daughter is ten months and is starting daycare this week she is at the age now where she cried for anyone but me or my husband. How did you get through it? Its killing me already and she hasn't even started yet. Did your child cry every time you left or even when they were being held by someone else when you were right there next to them? I'm so nervous.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its hard.. I put my oldest in daycare when she was 4 months and my youngest when she was about a month.. it gets easier! ;)
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:39 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• its easier the younger they are
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My oldest was in daycare at 6 weeks and my youngest at 8 weeks. It's harder on you than it is on them. Babies adjust very quickly to new things. One piece of advice - don't linger when you drop her off in the mornings. Tell her goodbye and then leave. Most children stop crying as soon as their parent leaves and the daycare teachers are used to dealing with it. If you stay trying to calm her down, you just lengthen the amount of time she is upset and crying.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I havent had to put my kids in daycare, I AM the daycare LOL So with that being said I can assure you ALL babies/kids will stop crying usually within 5-10mins of walking out the door. If your daycare provider is a good one, someplace you know and trust to leave your child....she will be fine I promise. We usually find some way of distracting the child and usually like I said they stop crying immediately. I know it hurts to see her cry and it will be hard, just know each day it will get easier and easier....HUGS momma!
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 10:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It will be hard at first, but the crying will get less and less each time. I found out the hard way though...if the crying doesn't get better then something is wrong. My oldest always cried at the first daycare and I thought it was just normal...well I found out that a handful of parents were pulling their children from the daycare for this same reason. I pulled mine and found another daycare and he never cried there...now my youngest goes there and he only cried when he was about 9 months till about a year...now he never cries.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They usually get over it after a week or so. It helps to have a good-bye routine (a hug and kiss once you drop her off) and a lovey that she can keep with her at daycare.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's best if you have one person caring for your baby in your home or her home. Day care centers should be the last choice. A baby can attach to one other care giver. When you put an infant in a day care center type situation they don't adapt, they give up. It is too overwhelming for them. About 10% of babies will be OK, they have survivor personalities. About 80% will do some form of giving up or shutting down. About 10% of babies will do very poorly. I learned about this in graduate school psychology courses.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think they all hit an age where it's hard... my son started daycare at 12 weeks... but when he was about your daughters age he had a hard time... he would frequently cry.
    The best thing to do is just give hugs and kisses and say bye and then leave... don't draw it out too long and don't rush back in if she crys. She will be fine in a few minutes and she will learn that you will always come back. My son cried every time for about 6 weeks... it broke my heart! By now he gets excited to go and play and have fun!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010