Ferber Questions. I need some support.

Somy 7 1/2 month old has been put to sleep lying on my chest, I know he needs to learn to put himself to sleep, but that way is so easy. Tonight was the first night I tried it. I left him calm, and he fussed for 5 minutes hten i went to calm him. My question is how long should this go on for? I cheated tonight though, and picked him up and danced until he fell asleep. My family was criticizing me letting his cry, and scream bloody murder.
This is the rifght thing to do. I know it, but I could use some back up and more information on how you taught your baby to sleep on his/her own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do it. The Ferber method is not for children as young as your son.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:29 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yeah I agree with the first post. I tried it with my son, who is almost the same age (8 mos) and he just didn't understand what was going on. It broke my heart so I decided I would wait to do it when he's alittle older. Sorry I couldn't be more supportive of you.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:41 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Thats what I thought, but I also read that its better to start early, before he can pull himself up, and move around a lot, keeping him awake. Putting him to sleep has gotten to be ridiculous
    Anonymous

• The sooner you can help him learn to put himself back to sleep, the happier you both will be. Don't stop now or it will never end. I know how hard it is. I have sat by the bedroom door and cried. It is so hard! But it does work! Keep at it 2 to 4 days, be consistent, don't cheat! You can do it!
    Anonymous

• Ingnore Myantek! She obviously doesn't know anything about the Ferber Method!
    Anonymous

• Well, my daughter is 7 months i got her to fall asleep on her own at 3 months. But i also done something that most people say not to do. I put her to sleep with a bottle. I know I know you are not suppose to. But she is fine, She dont even drink the bottle i lay her down with it, and she make suck it for 10 minutes and she is out.
    Anonymous

• Thank you to the last 2 answers :) It is so hard!
    Anonymous

• Ferber failed miserably here. My experience: They sleep when they sleep and what YOU do matters not a bit.

My son slept better when I stopped worrying about how he slept. And these days, I go on no more than four hours a night unless I'm sick. (I used to think Martha Stweart was crazy for doing the same thing.)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• We did it with my daughter at 6 weeks. We were so tired one night from trying to put her to sleep, that we both just layed on the floor of her room for a second, and must have feel alseep while she was crying in her crib, and when we woke up, she was asleep. The next night we decided to try it again since it had (by mistake) worked the night before. It only took her twenty minutes the second night, and ten the third, and now she doesn't peep. I know you may not have the same situation the first night, but I am glad it happened, and I would do it again with my next. We all sleep from 9pm to 6am every night since she was 6 weeks. I think she is happier for it as well, getting a good night sleep. Good luck
    Anonymous