Schedule?

My son is 4 months old, and has been on rice cereal for 3 weeks or so. [No bashing please, he's 18 lbs and 26 and a half inches long...needs his food!] The pedi gave us the OK today to start baby food and stuff but I'm wondering how to incorporate it into our daily schedule? He gets the rice cereal at about 8am and 6pm..but how can I give him foods and not mess up breastfeeding? Ideas please?

PS I know the whole deal on starting vegetables first and all that, I'm just asking when pretty much

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am a BF and my son is 7 months old and HAD to as well start on rice at 4 months so I understand. I keep my milk up and very easy to do so. When ever he eats a meal that doesn't have much BM with it I pump. I feed him what he wants and when he's done we go into a corner of the house where he has a play mat set up next to my pump and I play with him until I'm finished. Time consuming yes worth it definately! He's always into my cords while pumping so I give him one of the hoses and hold onto the other end so he thinks he's helping me! Some will say take Fenugreek or mothers tea but its not necessary if you pump at the end of meal time as if he would eat from you but not since its being replaced. congrats and good luck!
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 11:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• The whole veggie thing first failed with me. My daughter ate bananas for 2 weeks straight before I could slip in some squash, so nix that idea. Anyways, give him his cereal and fruits together in the morning and his veggies and cereal at night. Cut down the portions a little of each. That way he can get used to them, just alternate spoons. As for the breastfeeding, unfortunately it happens to all of us when mommy is not the only nutrition source. Soon he will be eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner solids, and he will breastfeed in between those times. Start incorporating a third feeding somewhere and it should all work out.
    InTheMoment

Answer by InTheMoment at 11:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Nurse first, solids AFTER as many times a day as you care to give them. NURSE FIRST every single time, all the way to the first birthday. As long as you're nursing first, put solids into your schedule however is most convenient for you because it really doesn't matter. **grin** The nutrition is from the breastmilk. The solids are for teaching baby to deal with different tastes and textures.

One thing to watch out for. If baby gets constipated...BACK OFF. No Karo, so fruit juice...get back to a breastmilk only baseline.

Remember that it's normal for an infant to nurse most of the time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2008