How do you challenge your school age kids?

My first grade daughter is incredibly smart. Last year, she was bumped up to first grade reading because she was so bored in kindergarten (she's currently reading at a 5th grade level). This is only the second week of school- but last week she had a few assignments that she just rushed through and ended up missing things because she was in such a hurry to finish them. (I've already dealt with that issue, no comments please) Do you do anything with your children outside of school to work with them or better prepare them for school?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in

• I have the same problem with John. Although hes not reading yet. hes getting close. Hes doing great in numbers & math. Hes going to start kindergarten on wed... The teachers say he might be ahead of the class. Hes already doing first grade math. & understands it... So I got workbooks from my local dollar store, big lots, kmart, ect & let him work on those....we also do flash cards & such. Ive been trying to teach john the sounds the letters make, but he wasn't picking it up from me so I got a website from a friend fallstar, or starfall, & hes picked it up in two days...

webites, workbooks, flashcards, ect ect ect, is what we do... he loves it, & I love the fact hes having fun while learning.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:43 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have always worked with my two - they were behind when they came to me and hadn't been taught how to work effectively on their school work. In addition, I often supplemented the school lessons and gave my kids additional projects - they learned to love learning, to enjoy investigating, to have fun hunting information, making artwork that went with their assignments, and more.
    If you've already "dealt with" the issue of her turning in poor quality work, what else are you asking? Sounds like you've got the problem under control.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We go to the library. My daughters goal is to read every book the library has on animals. She also likes to write books sometimes. You can also have her read different kinds of books and write a short report on them. who the author was, the illustrator, and something about the story. Different kinds of books meaning, biographies, mysteries, history, fantasies, science, animals, free choice. Get a chart and have her read like 3 of each by Christmas or whatever.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I work with my children at the kitchen table every night. My children and I are all learning English as our second language. It is hard work and sometimes we struggle. But we are so happy to be here.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 11:02 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• To Justnancyb- I was asking for some other unique ways of working with my daughter and challenging her outside of school. We read together everyday, and play "write a word/sentence"... but she needs to be challenged, in and out of school.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Try a variety of activities such as music classes, chess club, volunteering if you can find something for her age, sports and other activities. When someone is as smart as she is, she gets things quickly (as you know), so she needs other outlets for creativity and to find out who she is.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 11:59 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Read. A lot. Talk to them like adults (not adult topics, but adult vocabulary). Go to museums, or beaches or whathaveyou and talk about how things "work". I bought a few cheap, broken gadgets at thrift stores for them to take apart and look at. We listen to music and discuss various types of art.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son was this way. I got him involved in Soccer as soon as he was old enough for the league (I think he was almost 5). I also got him involved in Boy Scouts. Girl Scouts would be a good option for your daughter. She would be at the Brownie level which is a lot of fun. My daughter actually earned all of the try-its in the book and some additional ones too. Also with my son when he got into the middle school he was able to become involved in a specialty school (Battle Creek Area Math and Science Center) in addition to regular school. He is now 17 and attends the BCAMSC in the afternoons and High School in the mornings along with playing basketball and track. He is also arranging some of his courses to accommodate college courses. Basically just give her other options besides school that will give her some other ways to challenge herself.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My oldest is grade levels ahead in most subjects. My youngest is reading well ahead of her grade and ahead in math as well. We work with their teachers to devise a plan to manage their needs in class. To date, the teacher's they've had keep a variety of books in their classrooms. DS's 1st grade teacher (who will be my DD's this year) created an entire advanced math book for him to work through during his free-time.

At home? Well, smart kids need to be well rounded kids too. We get them invovled in their choice of activities - Scouts and sports now. We watch their areas of interest and provide them with the tools to explore them. Right now DD is our little artist. She's GOOD for a 5 yr old (will be 6 in two weeks.) We stock her with paper and supplies. Send her to an art school program over the summer. she loves it. DS is into astronomy. He's got a telescope now and is looking to join the area Astonomy club.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't think I "worked with" my two as much as I just incorporated learning into all parts of life. When my son played joined the baseball team, we taught him how to keep his own stats. I purchased lots of art supplies. For birthdays, I purchased books and star charts and science kits. My kids wrote letters to relatives, grocery lists, learned to cook. My husband taught both of them to play chess. My daughter would write captions for our scrapbooking. It was just everywhere!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010