Is it true that you can die from a tooth ache?

I have a tooth that needs to come out.It has been hurting for months now,but I kept putting off going to the dentist.It is getting worst and I tried to go to my dentist today,but they weren't open.Its starting to make my whole head hurt and I've been feeling a little dizzy.Someone told me that I need to fix it fast because you can die from a tooth ache.Is that true?Also,what can I do to help the pain until Tuesday?

nikkiJ86

Asked by nikkiJ86 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Health

• Technically, yes. If it is abscessed and the infection spreads into the bloodstream, you could become septic and die. That is exceedingly rare, but it's possible. You could also experience osteomyelitis, which is an infection in your bone - very painful and hard to treat. Watch your temperature and go to your dentist ASAP, but I wouldn't worry too much about dying - it's not a common complication of a toothache.
    Anonymous

• You can't die from the "ache", but from the infection it could set up. The first post has it right, call or see your dentist soon, if it gets too bad you can always go to the ER and they can go ahead and give you pain meds plus antibiotics, your dentist will not do anything until the infection is gone. He will give you antibiotics first and then have you back in a week or two to treat your tooth.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Oh, wanted to say, I need a root canal and my tooth hurts also, so I totally understand where you are coming from. It's been a year and I just can't afford to go yet. Hopefully, my tooth won't fall out of my head before I get back to my dentist. lol

Feel better soon!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have found that gargleing with mouth wash relieves the pain temporarily. Not sure if this works for anyone else.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• well i've had some reallly bad toothachs before and what worked for me was gargeling with salt water thats warm a few times a day plus some ibuprofin at least 600 miligrams or tylenol but to be honest advil works better good luck.
    Anonymous

• sometimes a tooth ache can mean a heart problem so i would deffinetly see a doctor as awell as a dentist
    sweetpea147

Answer by sweetpea147 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008