Need help!

My dd is 22 months old, and if i have pictures/ornaments down where she can reach them she won't leave them alone..so i have to put them in a box and put them away.
I would really like to keep my pictures and stuff like that out on my corner/coffee tables and my wall unit...but she wont leave them alone..i have tried taps on the hand and telling her not to touch and putting her in timeout, but the second that my back is turned she goes right back at it again.
How can i get her to stop picking at thing's she is not aloud to have?

mommylisar

Asked by mommylisar at 10:44 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IDK I just kept things like that out of reach until they were older. They are naturally curious at this age and will continue to test the boundaries. So stay firm.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:01 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• When you see her about to touch, immediately tap her hand and say no. Stand beside her and let her reach again, tap and say no again. Keep doing that until she stops reaching, then you pull her hand toward it and if she willingly tries to touch it, tap and say no again. Do this until when you put her hand towards it, she pulls her hand back and says no. From then on, when she even looks towards it, say no. She will have the connection that she is not to touch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Keep telling her no no. After a few times she will get it. Persistance and the way you deliver your tone of voice when telling her No has alot to do with it. After a few times of my DD wanting to touch things she stopped because she knew I meant business and it wasn't something she was allowed to touch. Good luck and I hope she stops soon.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well not that i'm an expert, as i've just joined cafe mom myself. But my 12 month old son does this A LOT!! I've also done taps on the hand and such, pretty much what's worked with some things around the house has been to let him pick it up, sit with him for a minute and say how pretty whatever it is is, and say that he needs to be careful with it, and now it's time to put it away and show him how to put it back, let him try and praise him when he does it correctly. It's worked with a lot of things.... though not the dogs food just yet....
    Mom-o-AJ

Answer by Mom-o-AJ at 10:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010