OMG - Lice!!

My daughter has lice! She is 7. I treated the whole family with the RID shampoo and comb out. I washed all the bedding in the house. She still has some nits, but I called the pharmacy and they said that they are dead. I need to do a follow up treatment next week. I want to call a treatment center that actually pulls the nits from your hair. What would you do? Any lice success stories? I'm kind of grossed out here!

mompam

Asked by mompam at 10:45 AM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Tea tree oil loosens the little eggs and kills those bastards. Rid is such a dangerous pesticide. I use a shampoo with tea tree oil from Melaleuca that gets rid of it too. Then constantly repels them if you come into contact again. I have heard that vinegar works as well. You may have to work everyday to remove the eggs with those little combs until they are gone..
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:52 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• why can't you pull the nits yourself? They come out with the nit combs. I have had to deal with it one time. EVERY single day for two weeks i would comb through her hair & pick out nits wiht a GOOD nit comb. Those nits hatch in two weeks. They are not dead when you wash with shampoo, only the live ones die. The ones in the eggs do not. That is why you have to reapply after 10 days or so, to kill the lice that may have hatched after you shampooed the first time. Also, if you want to keep them from coming back...put some tea tre oil ( %100 pure stuff) in your dhampoo bottle. Lice cannot handle it, they will not live in hair that has tea tree oil residue in it. Put some in your shampoo to keep your whole family from getting it & to keep from reinfesting.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:50 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• never had lice, but here's a pump
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• dont forget to use the lice killing spray in your car or cars on the upolstry people forget that.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:32 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• There is a yellow handled nit comb called the lice mister or something like that. It works great. Personally what I do is call the pedi and get the Rx stuff called Ovide. Remember to rug wash the inside of your car too.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Back when my three oldest were little they got lice too...unfortunately they got the resistant type and the only way to get rid of them was to cut their hair very short...two were girls. I think you should do whatever you can to get the nits out because there is no guarantee they are dead.
    Yozhick

Answer by Yozhick at 11:57 AM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do not have good eyesight so the nit combs and stuff have never worked for us. We had to use tea tree oil. We added a drop or two to our shampoo and I haven't seen or felt anymore lice in over a year. Give it a try.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Where do I get Tea Tree oil? Do I have to go to a health food store?
    mompam

Comment by mompam (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Mompam I have a store that uses tea tree in personal care products and in many of the household products. Plus you can buy a pharmaceutical grade tea tree oil...It can be used for many other things too. you are welcome to request info from my site and I can share with you how to shop there. We have everything you need..for laundry, hair , and your car. www.saferisbetter.com/Mommieshome
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/lice/head/index.html

http://www.headlice.org/
    CM has really been one of the worst resources for headlice treatment, Please use a professional and reliable source for information.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:32 AM on Aug. 30, 2010